uk.rec.cars.modifications (Car Modifications) (uk.rec.cars.modifications)

I'm back.

Old October 23rd 09, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Elder

Default I'm back.

Week in Sharm, lightly browned, not cheap in the town, but went AI so
not bothered, stayed at the hotel. Didn't go near Pachaa as even the
Camel Bar was about 110 egyptian (about 12-13 for a couple of drinks).

Those who got fed up of the AI buffet and visited Maccy's claimed you
could get two large meals for about 6 GBP and they were the proper
triple burgers with footlong fries and a bargain bucket sized soft
drink, and you didn't need to eat for the rest of the day. And get this,
BK, Maccy's and KFC and Pizza Hut delivered free if you spent over a
certain ammount.

Nothing special car wise to report, mostly saw Hyundai and and
occasionally "Chevrolet" taxis, and a couple of Mitsu private cars, all
the trucks vans and busses were Toyota or Mitsu. Sadly no mental
drifters or oddly modified vehicles like you see in those videos that
come over from the Emirates.

Manager of the hotel had some kind of big maybe 70's maybe 80's boxy
yank (hard to tell with an arabic plate, and sun flattened paint but not
a hint of rust) that made a nice noise but that was it.
--
Carl Robson
Get cashback on your purchases
Old October 23rd 09, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
fishman

On 23 Oct, 14:18, Elder wrote:

Those who got fed up of the AI buffet and visited Maccy's claimed you
could get two large meals for about 6 GBP and they were the proper
triple burgers with footlong fries and a bargain bucket sized soft
drink, and you didn't need to eat for the rest of the day. And get this,
BK, Maccy's and KFC and Pizza Hut delivered free if you spent over a
certain ammount.

LOL a good class of tourist writes back from foreign climes about how
good the American international chain fast food junk outlets are

I remember asking a bloke who'd just come back from Tasmania what it
was like. The response "It was alright, had a McDonalds and a KFC"
Old October 23rd 09, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Clive George

"Elder" wrote in message
t...

And get this,
BK, Maccy's and KFC and Pizza Hut delivered free if you spent over a
certain ammount.

Question is, why would you want to?

Old October 23rd 09, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Elder

In article 0a1d087c-7310-4000-bf4c-
,
says...
LOL a good class of tourist writes back from foreign climes about how
good the American international chain fast food junk outlets are

I remember asking a bloke who'd just come back from Tasmania what it
was like. The response "It was alright, had a McDonalds and a KFC"

I ate in the hotel buffet restaurant each night, but I'm not a fussy
eater. My one concern was while it was tasty, but had some unorthadox
combinations, it wasn't hot enough. The trays were on heated tiles,
under heated lights and were bubbling away, and the plates were warmed,
but as soon as you served yourself, it was only just warm.

I was fine until the last day when I got the rampant squits, and felt
sweaty and clammy the night before. So probably something I ate. It even
put me off the paint stripper "local" Fineland and Vat Landia Egyptian
Vodka.

I think if I had gone for two weeks, I would have hit the take-aways
too. They were 10-15 minutes walk. A taxi seemed to very between the
"Don't pay more the 25 egyptian" as quoted on the travel website to at
least 60 egyptian after haggling for a one way journey. Centre of Naama
Bay was about 1 hours walk at least (I walked for 45 minutes in the
right direction to get to a Vodafone shop for a local PAYG sim and was
nowhere near the town).

So 120 egyptian for a return taxi, roughly 300 egyptian for a half
decent restaurant, add in about 200 egyptian for some beers and if you
ended up in the hubble bubble bar afterwards. Not a cheap night out for
what I was told was a cheap country.

I got 800 egyptian for 100 before I left, but it was about 9 to 1GBP in
resort. But you either paid commission in the hotel exchange machine
(never been to a hotel that didn't do exchange over the reception desk
or had a real exchange counter in house before), or again paid for a
taxi into the centre to find a bank, which was more than the commission.
Old October 23rd 09, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Mike P[_5_]

On 23 Oct, 15:02, Elder wrote:
In article ,
says... "Elder" wrote in message
et...

And get this,
BK, Maccy's and KFC and Pizza Hut delivered free if you spent over a
certain ammount.

Question is, why would you want to?

Because while I'm not a fussy eater and have a cast iron constitution,
some people had trouble finding something liked that was hot enough to
eat on the all inclusive buffet.

Plus, the standards of the fast food joints over there was far superior
to the ****e we get here.

I once ended up in a McDs in Sao Paulo airport, simply because I had a
3 hour wait and there was nothing else open so late. I was amazed that
a big Mac there actually appeared to really be made of meat!

Even if the product itself was the same
generic crap, the "food" was actually reasonably presented, instead of
being slammed together by a bored teenager, and the meals were actually
bigger as well as looking better, and cheaper than here.

That's cos we are too British and don't like to complain. We'll just
put up with it, then bitch to our mates later ;-)

Mike P
Old October 23rd 09, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Mike P[_5_]

On 23 Oct, 14:45, "Clive George" wrote:
"Elder" wrote in message

t...

And get this,
BK, Maccy's and KFC and Pizza Hut delivered free if you spent over a
certain ammount.

Question is, why would you want to?

A very good question. Even the ropiest of fast food joints I ate from
on the road from Porto Alegre to Sao Paulo years ago, which were full
of drugged up Brazilian truckers had food far better, and far cheaper
than McDs. They don't even have KFC over there...

Mike P
Old October 23rd 09, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
fishman

On 23 Oct, 15:13, Elder wrote:

So 120 egyptian for a return taxi, roughly 300 egyptian for a half
decent restaurant, add in about 200 egyptian for some beers and if you
ended up in the hubble bubble bar afterwards. Not a cheap night out for
what I was told was a cheap country.

Ah yeah but Sharm isn't Egypt, it's somewhere to go and get some sun
and sand but nothing more. Bit like Northern Goa in that respect (ie
rip off tourists to the max but you're promised the "culture" is out
there somewhere) but a much shorter flight and you don't have to get a
visa in advance.