uk.rec.cars.modifications (Car Modifications) (uk.rec.cars.modifications)

Do we have any video geeks in here?

Old March 8th 08, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Iridium

Default Do we have any video geeks in here?

For the trip to the 'ring , I'm
thinking a small handycam like device might be quite cool. What are the
brands of choice and what should I avoid? I'm not looking to spend a huge
wedge, and won't be making professional movies here, it'll just be for fun.
Something with some kinda image stabilisation would be quite good so my
passenger can use it whilst we're driving as well.

I was thinking something along the lines of this -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...macro_56623865 -
don't really wanna spend more than that cos I'll probably never use it again
heh.

Yes I am aware you're not meant to film on the ring heh.

Cheers all!

--
Dan
Clio V6

Old March 8th 08, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Abo

Iridium wrote:

I was thinking something along the lines of this -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...macro_56623865 -

We've carried in-car cameras in the pickup when Motors TV have filmed us
race on occasion, and the camera they used was a Sony Handycam, so it
should do you nicely for your trip around the ring. Fitted with a remote
switch for on/off so Wilky could start it from the driver's seat (lol,
you have to start it yourself, no studio remote control...).

The camera mount they used was interestingly lo-tech too and comprised
of lots of blu-tak and some gaffer tape. Not as crappy as it sounds
though, the blu-tak damped a load of vibrations. Maybe you could do
something similar for a dash mount instead of the camera being held all
the time. I'm assuming you're going round more than once?

--
Abo
Old March 8th 08, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Depresion

"Iridium" wrote in message
For the trip to the 'ring , I'm
thinking a small handycam like device might be quite cool. What are the
brands of choice and what should I avoid? I'm not looking to spend a huge
wedge, and won't be making professional movies here, it'll just be for fun.
Something with some kinda image stabilisation would be quite good so my
passenger can use it whilst we're driving as well.

I was thinking something along the lines of this -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...macro_56623865 -
don't really wanna spend more than that cos I'll probably never use it
again heh.

Yes I am aware you're not meant to film on the ring heh.

I find the sony stuff quite good but I thought they were now checking cars
for cameras when the go out.

Old March 8th 08, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Tim S Kemp[_2_]

Iridium wrote:

I was thinking something along the lines of this -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...macro_56623865
- don't really wanna spend more than that cos I'll probably never use
it again heh.

Yes I am aware you're not meant to film on the ring heh.

Don't forget to get some bits from here
http://www.cameragrip.co.uk/

I'd go with any small sony/canon/panasonic, try and get one which you can
disable the autofocus on as it'll sit staring at your mirror,
taxdisc,dashboard etc instead of looking at the blurring scenery. If you
think you really will do this a few more times spend more and get a canon or
panasonic with a stabilised lens. Or spend less and get the SD card based
samsung...

Old March 8th 08, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Vamp

-
don't really wanna spend more than that cos I'll probably never use it
again heh.

Yes I am aware you're not meant to film on the ring heh.

Cheers all!

that'll do for what you want, get some kinda clamp tripod thing they aint
exspensive. avoid dvd based camera's as they can't handle the high g's in
corners as my boss found out in his juno although i'm not sure if a road car
could make enough g. something to do with the disc flex as it's spinning.
dunno what the physics are for it are called.

Old March 8th 08, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Tim S Kemp[_2_]

Vamp wrote:

that'll do for what you want, get some kinda clamp tripod thing they
aint exspensive. avoid dvd based camera's as they can't handle the
high g's in corners as my boss found out in his juno although i'm not
sure if a road car could make enough g. something to do with the disc
flex as it's spinning. dunno what the physics are for it are called.

Gyroscopic Precession

Old March 8th 08, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Vamp

"Tim S Kemp" wrote in message
. uk...
Vamp wrote:

that'll do for what you want, get some kinda clamp tripod thing they
aint exspensive. avoid dvd based camera's as they can't handle the
high g's in corners as my boss found out in his juno although i'm not
sure if a road car could make enough g. something to do with the disc
flex as it's spinning. dunno what the physics are for it are called.

Gyroscopic Precession

yeah that **** basically brings the disc surface away from the laser so
it doesn't burn properly if at all, makes interesting viewing mind hehe.
although i did tell my boss that i could have saved him a lot of bother in
the first place if he asked me bout what to get first as i already knew bout
the camera not being able to handle the g's

Old March 9th 08, 02:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Iridium

"Depresion" 127.0.0.1 wrote in message

"Iridium" wrote in message
For the trip to the 'ring , I'm
thinking a small handycam like device might be quite cool. What are the
brands of choice and what should I avoid? I'm not looking to spend a
huge
wedge, and won't be making professional movies here, it'll just be for
fun.
Something with some kinda image stabilisation would be quite good so my
passenger can use it whilst we're driving as well.

I was thinking something along the lines of this -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...macro_56623865
-
don't really wanna spend more than that cos I'll probably never use it
again heh.

Yes I am aware you're not meant to film on the ring heh.

I find the sony stuff quite good but I thought they were now checking cars
for cameras when the go out.

Well the camera was more for the trip as well as the ring laps. Surely they
wouldn't go through my passengers back pack?

Cheers for the input all, looks like a Sony Handycam then :-)

--
Dan
Clio V6 #57

Old March 9th 08, 06:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Tim S Kemp[_2_]

Vamp wrote:
"Tim S Kemp" wrote in message
. uk...
Vamp wrote:

that'll do for what you want, get some kinda clamp tripod thing they
aint exspensive. avoid dvd based camera's as they can't handle the
high g's in corners as my boss found out in his juno although i'm
not sure if a road car could make enough g. something to do with
the disc flex as it's spinning. dunno what the physics are for it
are called.

Gyroscopic Precession

yeah that **** basically brings the disc surface away from the
laser so it doesn't burn properly if at all, makes interesting
viewing mind hehe. although i did tell my boss that i could have
saved him a lot of bother in the first place if he asked me bout what
to get first as i already knew bout the camera not being able to
handle the g's

You get it with every camera at some point other than solid state flash
memory ones. Even DV cameras due to the roary head, the tracking angles are
very narrow...

Old March 9th 08, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Vamp

"Tim S Kemp" wrote in message
Vamp wrote:
"Tim S Kemp" wrote in message
. uk...
Vamp wrote:

[...]

i guess being smaller helps, the dvd's have quite a wide area, solid state
would be best i have to agree