uk.rec.cars.modifications (Car Modifications) (uk.rec.cars.modifications)

Got me a 205 Gti

Old April 29th 06, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Rob

Default Got me a 205 Gti

Well after looking at a couple today i settled on a lovely example.

1986 D reg 205 gti in Silver
lovely silver colour
1.9 engine
clean interior

i'll post up some pics tommorow when i get in from work

big plans so far

going to um wash it drive it some more after i scared myself on the way home
and grinned like a fool and then i guess drive it some more. why didnt
anyone tell me they were this good? all those years wasted fannying around
with xr2/i's

Old April 29th 06, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
DanTXD

"Rob" wrote in message
Well after looking at a couple today i settled on a lovely example.

1986 D reg 205 gti in Silver
lovely silver colour
1.9 engine
clean interior

i'll post up some pics tommorow when i get in from work

big plans so far

going to um wash it drive it some more after i scared myself on the way
home and grinned like a fool and then i guess drive it some more. why
didnt anyone tell me they were this good? all those years wasted fannying
around with xr2/i's

Does it still have the 1.6 box though?

--
Dan

Old April 30th 06, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Rob

Does it still have the 1.6 box though?

thankfully yes

rather brisk at least on par with a valver nova in terms of acleration.

also just won some koni adjustables for her on ebay so its shaping up to be
a nice weekend so far

Old April 30th 06, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
DervMan

"Rob" wrote in message
Well after looking at a couple today i settled on a lovely example.

1986 D reg 205 gti in Silver
lovely silver colour
1.9 engine
clean interior

i'll post up some pics tommorow when i get in from work

big plans so far

going to um wash it drive it some more after i scared myself on the way
home and grinned like a fool and then i guess drive it some more. why
didnt anyone tell me they were this good? all those years wasted fannying
around with xr2/i's

We *did * tell you...

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Old April 30th 06, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Carl Gibbs

"Rob" wrote in message
Well after looking at a couple today i settled on a lovely example.

1986 D reg 205 gti in Silver
lovely silver colour
1.9 engine
clean interior

i'll post up some pics tommorow when i get in from work

Good man!

big plans so far

going to um wash it drive it some more after i scared myself on the way
home and grinned like a fool and then i guess drive it some more. why
didnt anyone tell me they were this good? all those years wasted fannying
around with xr2/i's

I think we did tell you

Old April 30th 06, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Carl Gibbs

"Me" wrote in message
How quick was the 205 GTi ? I remember at the time they were considered
really fast but how do they square up to a modern hot hatch performance
wise??

Modern hot hatches have got around double the power, so probably not very
well. Off the top of my head:
1.6 GTi: 105-115bhp and about 8.5s to 60
1.9 GTi: 122-130bhp and about 8s to 60
The recent batch of turbo nutter hatches are 200bhp+ and around 6.5s to 60
at a guess.

Bloody good chassis though, and dare I say it, more fun to drive than the
modern stuff, if no where near as quick.

Old April 30th 06, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
DanTXD

"Carl Gibbs" wrote in message

"Me" wrote in message
How quick was the 205 GTi ? I remember at the time they were considered
really fast but how do they square up to a modern hot hatch performance
wise??

Modern hot hatches have got around double the power, so probably not very
well. Off the top of my head:
1.6 GTi: 105-115bhp and about 8.5s to 60
1.9 GTi: 122-130bhp and about 8s to 60
The recent batch of turbo nutter hatches are 200bhp+ and around 6.5s to 60
at a guess.

Bloody good chassis though, and dare I say it, more fun to drive than the
modern stuff, if no where near as quick.

Till you bolt the Mi16 in ;-)

--
Dan

Old April 30th 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
DervMan

"Me" wrote in message
How quick was the 205 GTi ? I remember at the time they were considered
really fast but how do they square up to a modern hot hatch performance
wise??

They feel quick compared to most ordinary (FWD or RWD) cars. Part of their
feeling quick is because they tremble, they rumble, they rattle - modern
stuff disguises much noise and sensation, cane a 205 GTi and it tells you
it's accelerating hard in ways a mark five Golf GTI doesn't.

But, hmm, well I suppose comparing the 205 1.9 to the 206 180, the 205 is
slower. My Datasheet has the 205 pegged at 126 mph and 8.1 seconds to 62.
Power to weight ratio of 141 bhp / tonne, Performance Score of 24.0.

The 206, 143 mph, 7.4 seconds, 164 bhp / tonne and a Performance Score of
28.3.

The 206 is faster in the gears but only feels it if you're watching the
speedo! :-) Both scrabble for grip off the line.

The 205 has a grunty gutsy engine whereas the 206 feels a bit clinical...
it's hard to describe.

If I wanted a car I'd take the 206. If I wanted a hot hatch I'd take the
205.

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Old April 30th 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
DanTXD

"DervMan" wrote in message
"Me" wrote in message
[...]

shock I actually agree.... But I think the 205 would be required to be an
Mi16 one ;-) Although a 206 180 would be very nice. If I had to commute in
it or anything though, 206. Mind you, if I could afford a GTi 180 I could
probably afford to have a 205 GTi Mi16 as a project and weekend toy...

--
Dan

Old April 30th 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
DervMan

"DanTXD" wrote in message
"DervMan" wrote in message
"Me" wrote in message
[...]

Hmm. Maybe. Some things are best left as standard. A standard 205 1.6 or
1.9 GTi is a work of art.

Butcher the XS then...

Although a 206 180 would be very nice. If I had to commute in it or
anything though, 206.

Yup. I would commute in the 205 just to prove I was hard. Would be less
painful than pulling out nose hairs for kicks. I'm not hard, heh, I have a
soft comfortable Accord with cruise. I had a not so soft but nearly as
comfortable Ka with cruise before that...

Mind you, if I could afford a GTi 180 I could probably afford to have a
205 GTi Mi16 as a project and weekend toy...

Perhaps not, depending on the insurance..

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com