uk.rec.cars.modifications (Car Modifications) (uk.rec.cars.modifications)

Volvo 480 Turbo

Old September 10th 05, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Carl Gibbs

Default Volvo 480 Turbo

What they like?

Looks like I'm getting one for free from a mate of a mate that took it as
part ex at his garage. No MoT but apparently its in ok condition. Will
probbaly just stick an MoT on it and flog it on, or raid it for parts for
the 360 project. But you never know, might just keep it, give it a dump
valve and whack up the boost till it explodes

Off on holiday in the MR2 tomorrow (just packed it and its amazing how much
you can fit in!), but will hopefully pick it up when I get back in just over
a week.

Old September 10th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Vamp

"Carl Gibbs" wrote in message
What they like?

Looks like I'm getting one for free from a mate of a mate that took it as
part ex at his garage. No MoT but apparently its in ok condition. Will
probbaly just stick an MoT on it and flog it on, or raid it for parts for
the 360 project. But you never know, might just keep it, give it a dump
valve and whack up the boost till it explodes

Off on holiday in the MR2 tomorrow (just packed it and its amazing how
much you can fit in!), but will hopefully pick it up when I get back in
just over a week.

yeah you just have to be creative with an MR2 you can get a lot of crap in
them hehe.

Old September 10th 05, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
john

"Carl Gibbs" wrote in message
What they like?

Looks like I'm getting one for free from a mate of a mate that took it as
part ex at his garage. No MoT but apparently its in ok condition. Will
probbaly just stick an MoT on it and flog it on, or raid it for parts for
the 360 project. But you never know, might just keep it, give it a dump
valve and whack up the boost till it explodes

supposed to fun little cars, handle quite well. electrics can be iffy.

Old September 10th 05, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Lordy.UK

What they like?

Slow and dull.
Must admit I did like the shape when they first came out tho

--
Lordy.UK
Old September 10th 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Robert Knowles

try here for info
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboa...forum=11&page=

Old September 10th 05, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
RichardK

Carl Gibbs wrote:

What they like?

I love 'em. However:

They're a bit gutless for a turbo car. They are fragile. They are FWD.
They rust; particularly on the windscreen frame, around the rear arches,
the leading edge of the doors, and behind the back bumper. The
electronics are approaching Italian levels of evil - everything is
controlled via a central computer that makes a VIC-20 look sophisticated.

Pre '92 models are... interesting. Post '92 things get better.

Interiors are fragile, particularly the dashboard and boot trims.

They are, sadly, rather humdrum to drive, but very comfortable, I think
they look fantastic, they are practical, and the 2.0i is a tough little
thing. Shame they never turbocharged the 2.0i really.

Not something I'd choose to drive for 'fun' though.

Richard

--
RichardK - 1980s in a can. http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/music/
Retro computing - http://www.dmc12.demon.co.uk/retrotech/
Old September 10th 05, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Stuart Gray

"Carl Gibbs" wrote in message
What they like?

Looks like I'm getting one for free from a mate of a mate that took it as
part ex at his garage. No MoT but apparently its in ok condition. Will
probbaly just stick an MoT on it and flog it on, or raid it for parts for
the 360 project. But you never know, might just keep it, give it a dump
valve and whack up the boost till it explodes

Off on holiday in the MR2 tomorrow (just packed it and its amazing how
much you can fit in!), but will hopefully pick it up when I get back in
just over a week.

I'm a Volvo freak, but I wouldn't buy one that didn't have a 2 or a 7 in the
model number. My mate bought a 480, turbo failed after a few days, lovely
electrics when they worked. I did like the thing where if you had the front
wipers on and then selected reverse, it would automatically wipe the rear
window.
He replaced the turbo btw, than sold it on quick smart. Made a small profit.

Old September 10th 05, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
RichardK

Stuart Gray wrote:

I'm a Volvo freak, but I wouldn't buy one that didn't have a 2 or a 7 in the
model number. My mate bought a 480, turbo failed after a few days, lovely
electrics when they worked. I did like the thing where if you had the front
wipers on and then selected reverse, it would automatically wipe the rear
window.
He replaced the turbo btw, than sold it on quick smart. Made a small profit.

I liked:

Oil level displayed on fuel level when preparing to start the car.
Original cars: Intermittent wipe switches to fast wipe when you floor it.
Later cars: Total closure system.
Door lock illumination.
Ability to use foglights without having the (high, relative to driving
position) headlights switched on, really cutting down on glare in fog.
Also, with new side/turn units, the DRLs are actually quite bright.

Wiper + reverse isn't exactly rare, my gf's Scorpio does it, as did my
old Mercedes... But did you ever notice that the front and rear wipers
were synchronised...

Richard

Old September 10th 05, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Carl Gibbs

"Stuart Gray" [email protected] wrote in message

"Carl Gibbs" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm doesnt sound like the ideal everyday car if all the electrickery is so
unreliable. Will see what condition everything is in and maybe just sell it
on then. I can put the money towards bits for the proper Volvo. No 2 or 7
in the name though

Old September 10th 05, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Carl Gibbs

"RichardK" wrote in message
Stuart Gray wrote:

I'm a Volvo freak, but I wouldn't buy one that didn't have a 2 or a 7 in
the model number. My mate bought a 480, turbo failed after a few days,
lovely electrics when they worked. I did like the thing where if you had
the front wipers on and then selected reverse, it would automatically
wipe the rear window.
He replaced the turbo btw, than sold it on quick smart. Made a small
profit.

I liked:

Oil level displayed on fuel level when preparing to start the car.

Thats what I like about the ZX. Dont have to keep pulling the bonnet to
check it.

Original cars: Intermittent wipe switches to fast wipe when you floor it.
Later cars: Total closure system.
Door lock illumination.
Ability to use foglights without having the (high, relative to driving
position) headlights switched on, really cutting down on glare in fog.
Also, with new side/turn units, the DRLs are actually quite bright.

Wiper + reverse isn't exactly rare, my gf's Scorpio does it, as did my old
Mercedes... But did you ever notice that the front and rear wipers were
synchronised...

Sounds like it had some funky stuff on it (for an old car). I can see why
people moan about the electricvs - plenty to go wrong!