uk.rec.cars.modifications (Car Modifications) (uk.rec.cars.modifications)

quick little Brabus Smart

Old May 11th 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
fishman

Default quick little Brabus Smart

On the way home last night I was driving behind a Brabus Smart car, the
ForTwo variety.

I noticed it had very sooty tailpipes, something I don't often see
these days on modern petrol cars with their lean burn engines and
catalysts and all the emissions malarkey.

Anyway, boy did this thing go! I honestly had trouble keeping up in the
Ti, where everybody blasts through the tunnels under Manchester Airport
to get past the inevitable slow gits - except for every time the driver
changed gear when I could see the Smart lurching about and slowing down
a lot while it waited for the comedy gearbox to do something

The last I saw of the Smart was as it rocketed off down the sliproad to
the M56 in the right-hand lane. I was behind a Jag XKR in the left lane
and once I joined the M56 I couldn't see the Smart at all.

I know that the Brabus Smarts aren't really that quick but the sooty
tailpipes hinted to me at some tuning. Anybody else seen it or got any
ideas?

Old May 11th 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Theo

fishman wrote:
[...]

iirc its only a tuned smart, whats the ForTwo variety? do u mean the old
one?
Old May 11th 05, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Sleeker GT Phwoar

In article ,
says...

iirc its only a tuned smart, whats the ForTwo variety? do u mean the old
one?

Yeah, he means the old "City Coupe"
--
"Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf"
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
Old May 11th 05, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Bigus

"fishman" wrote in message
oups.com...
On the way home last night I was driving behind a Brabus Smart car, the
ForTwo variety.

I noticed it had very sooty tailpipes, something I don't often see
these days on modern petrol cars with their lean burn engines and
catalysts and all the emissions malarkey.

Anyway, boy did this thing go! I honestly had trouble keeping up in the
Ti, where everybody blasts through the tunnels under Manchester Airport
to get past the inevitable slow gits - except for every time the driver
changed gear when I could see the Smart lurching about and slowing down
a lot while it waited for the comedy gearbox to do something

they're all automatic aren't they?

The last I saw of the Smart was as it rocketed off down the sliproad to
the M56 in the right-hand lane. I was behind a Jag XKR in the left lane
and once I joined the M56 I couldn't see the Smart at all.

I know that the Brabus Smarts aren't really that quick but the sooty

11.9 0-60 - are you sure you didn't accidentally have your handbrake on?
;-)

tailpipes hinted to me at some tuning. Anybody else seen it or got any
ideas?

I wouldn't have thought any amount of tuning of a 700cc engine would get it
close to a Ti!

Bigus

Old May 11th 05, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Douglas Payne

Bigus wrote:
"fishman" wrote in message
oups.com...

On the way home last night I was driving behind a Brabus Smart car, the
ForTwo variety.

I noticed it had very sooty tailpipes, something I don't often see
these days on modern petrol cars with their lean burn engines and
catalysts and all the emissions malarkey.

Anyway, boy did this thing go! I honestly had trouble keeping up in the
Ti, where everybody blasts through the tunnels under Manchester Airport
to get past the inevitable slow gits - except for every time the driver
changed gear when I could see the Smart lurching about and slowing down
a lot while it waited for the comedy gearbox to do something

they're all automatic aren't they?

No, they've all got a horrible little robotised semi-automatic
sequential gearbox. It has a fully automatic mode, but it doesn't work
or feel like a conventional automatic at all.

The last I saw of the Smart was as it rocketed off down the sliproad to
the M56 in the right-hand lane. I was behind a Jag XKR in the left lane
and once I joined the M56 I couldn't see the Smart at all.

I know that the Brabus Smarts aren't really that quick but the sooty

11.9 0-60 - are you sure you didn't accidentally have your handbrake on?
;-)

I wouldn't have thought any amount of tuning of a 700cc engine would get it
close to a Ti!

I had some videos somewhere of some people who had put crazy engines in
smarts. I think it was the chaps at www.smartsrus.com but I could be
wrong. The link I have is dead. They might even have managed to cram 2
engines into one. The videos made the cars look loony-fast.

Douglas
Old May 11th 05, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Sleeker GT Phwoar

In article ,
says...
Bigus wrote:
"fishman" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Hayabusa, GSXR and Fireblade engined Smarts.

Evil twin make them I think.
Stupidly fast.
Old May 11th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Theo

Sleeker GT Phwoar wrote:
In article ,
says...

Bigus wrote:

"fishman" wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

the smart coupe that was on top gear was rather impressive, iirc they
are not producing that one, tis a shame though..
Old May 11th 05, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Abo

fishman wrote:

I know that the Brabus Smarts aren't really that quick but the sooty
tailpipes hinted to me at some tuning. Anybody else seen it or got any
ideas?

Bike engined one?

--
www.pickuptruckracing.com - UK's closest race series
Spotter for the PWR truck #9

Old May 11th 05, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
AstraVanMan

I know that the Brabus Smarts aren't really that quick but the sooty
tailpipes hinted to me at some tuning. Anybody else seen it or got any
ideas?

Well, I think Brabus tuned them to an extent :-)

--
Peter

The irritating defeatist ****.
Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Old May 11th 05, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Iain Miller

"fishman" wrote in message
oups.com...
On the way home last night I was driving behind a Brabus Smart car, the
ForTwo variety.

I noticed it had very sooty tailpipes, something I don't often see
these days on modern petrol cars with their lean burn engines and
catalysts and all the emissions malarkey.

Unleaded petrol makes for sooty tailpipes - gone are the days when you could
look up your car's arse & tell whether it was running properly or not!

I,