uk.rec.cars.modifications (Car Modifications) (uk.rec.cars.modifications)

Clio Alloys

Old February 22nd 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Richard Jones

Default Clio Alloys

I have a 2002 clio and am looking at replacing the alloy wheels.
the car is currently fitted with 185/55/r15 tyres.
With the renault 15" alloys.

I want aftermarket alloys but do not want any clearance MOT offset problems
and so i dont trust what the people selling me the alloys say, will they say
i can get wheels that will not fit just because they get more money out of
me.
Is there any way that you guys can teach me how to measure for myself what
wheels will fit?

Many Thanks
Richard.

Old February 22nd 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Doki

"Richard Jones" wrote in message
I have a 2002 clio and am looking at replacing the alloy wheels.
the car is currently fitted with 185/55/r15 tyres.
With the renault 15" alloys.

I want aftermarket alloys but do not want any clearance MOT offset

problems
and so i dont trust what the people selling me the alloys say, will they

say
i can get wheels that will not fit just because they get more money out of
me.
Is there any way that you guys can teach me how to measure for myself

what
wheels will fit?

Have a look on google groups, someone asked a very similar question not long
ago. ISTR you could get on pretty big alloys, but remember you'll need to
keep the rolling radius of the tyre / wheel the same to keep the same level
of performance / speedo accuracy. Look up tyre size calculators on google to
do the sums for that.

Old February 23rd 04, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Nom

Richard Jones wrote:
I have a 2002 clio and am looking at replacing the alloy wheels.
the car is currently fitted with 185/55/r15 tyres.
With the renault 15" alloys.

I want aftermarket alloys but do not want any clearance MOT offset
problems and so i dont trust what the people selling me the alloys
say, will they say i can get wheels that will not fit just because
they get more money out of me.

Of course not, don't be stupid. If they sold you wheels that didn't fit,
you'd just take them back for a refund (with trading standards behind you if
necessary) and they'd be stuck with a set of wheels in their cupboard ! It's
in their interest to please you as a customer, if they want to make (and
keep) the sale !

Is there any way that you guys can teach me how to measure for
myself what wheels will fit?

What size do you want ?

First thing you need to do, is keep the total radius of wheel+tyre the same.
So the bigger the alloy, the thinner the tyre needs to be.
Assuming you're gonna fit 17" rims, then
http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi will tell you that you'll need
205/40/17 tyres, to keep almost the same diameter as your current 185/55/15.
You're only increasing the width of the tyre by 20mm (from 185 to 205) and
the diamter is staying the same, so there won't be any clearance problems.

You don't need to know the actual fitment of the wheel (PCD and Offset etc.)
because the place you're buying the wheels from, will have all that in their
book.
You just say "Hi. I'd like a set of seventeen inch wheels, with tyres, for
my 2002 Clio. What do you have that will fit ?"

Old February 23rd 04, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Richard Jones

I understand that but i believe from my friends that they have say 16" on a
nova (I know NOVA!) and they cant get a full lock on the steering.?
Is this not going to be a problem with me with the increase of 20mm?

Thanks Guys

Old February 23rd 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Douglas Payne

"Richard Jones" wrote in message
I understand that but i believe from my friends that they have say 16" on

nova (I know NOVA!) and they cant get a full lock on the steering.?
Is this not going to be a problem with me with the increase of 20mm?

Please don't top post, there's a good chap.

The biggest wheels that novas ever came with from the factory were probably
reasonably skinny 14" perhaps even 15" puppies. There'll be examples of
modern cars like your Clio that come with 16" wheels as standard, perhaps
even with the size of tyre you're thinking of getting. I don't think
there'll be any problems with rubbing and stuff as long as the offset,
centre bore and PCD is right on the wheels you do buy.

Douglas

Old February 23rd 04, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Dan405

"Douglas Payne" wrote in message

"Richard Jones" wrote in message
I understand that but i believe from my friends that they have say 16"

on
nova (I know NOVA!) and they cant get a full lock on the steering.?
Is this not going to be a problem with me with the increase of 20mm?

Please don't top post, there's a good chap.

The biggest wheels that novas ever came with from the factory were

probably
reasonably skinny 14" perhaps even 15" puppies. There'll be examples of
modern cars like your Clio that come with 16" wheels as standard, perhaps
even with the size of tyre you're thinking of getting. I don't think
there'll be any problems with rubbing and stuff as long as the offset,
centre bore and PCD is right on the wheels you do buy.

172 has 16's with (iirc) 195/45/16's possibly 195/40/16's

--
Dan
http://www.danontherun.com

Old February 24th 04, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Nom

Richard Jones wrote:
I understand that but i believe from my friends that they have say
16" on a nova (I know NOVA!) and they cant get a full lock on the
steering.?

Yes, because a Nova takes 13" wheels as standard !

Clearly a 3" increase is gonna affect things !

Is this not going to be a problem with me with the increase of 20mm?

Exactly. The Nova boys are going from 135 tyres (or something equally
stupid) to 195 - a HUGE increase !

You have a brand new Clio. The same brand new Clio comes with 17" wheels (on
the 172/182 models) as standard !

Old February 24th 04, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Nom

Dan405 wrote:
"Douglas Payne" wrote in message

"Richard Jones" wrote in message
I understand that but i believe from my friends that they have say
16" on a nova (I know NOVA!) and they cant get a full lock on the
steering.? Is this not going to be a problem with me with the
increase of 20mm?

Please don't top post, there's a good chap.

The biggest wheels that novas ever came with from the factory were
probably reasonably skinny 14" perhaps even 15" puppies. There'll
be examples of modern cars like your Clio that come with 16" wheels
as standard, perhaps even with the size of tyre you're thinking of
getting. I don't think there'll be any problems with rubbing and
stuff as long as the offset, centre bore and PCD is right on the
wheels you do buy.

172 has 16's

Well it better give them back then, or 16 will kick his ass ! What exactly
has he taken from 16's possesion ?

with (iirc) 195/45/16's possibly 195/40/16's

17s are an option on the 182.

Old February 24th 04, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Dan405

"Nom" wrote in message
Richard Jones wrote:
I understand that but i believe from my friends that they have say
16" on a nova (I know NOVA!) and they cant get a full lock on the
steering.?

Yes, because a Nova takes 13" wheels as standard !

Clearly a 3" increase is gonna affect things !

Is this not going to be a problem with me with the increase of 20mm?

Exactly. The Nova boys are going from 135 tyres (or something equally
stupid) to 195 - a HUGE increase !

You have a brand new Clio. The same brand new Clio comes with 17" wheels

(on
the 172/182 models) as standard !

No, it comes with 16s as standard

--
Dan
http://www.danontherun.com

Old February 25th 04, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.modifications
Nom

Dan405 wrote:
"Nom" wrote in message
Richard Jones wrote:
I understand that but i believe from my friends that they have say
16" on a nova (I know NOVA!) and they cant get a full lock on the
steering.?

Yes, because a Nova takes 13" wheels as standard !

Clearly a 3" increase is gonna affect things !

Is this not going to be a problem with me with the increase of 20mm?

Exactly. The Nova boys are going from 135 tyres (or something equally
stupid) to 195 - a HUGE increase !

You have a brand new Clio. The same brand new Clio comes with 17"
wheels (on the 172/182 models) as standard !

No, it comes with 16s as standard

17s are an option on the 182, according to Renault's website