uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

Car tax in 2009 question

Old August 20th 08, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
David Hearn

Default Car tax in 2009 question

Our car tax is due at the end of this month, and I'm trying to decide
whether to get 6 months or 12. Due to timings of car insurance and
breakdown cover, getting 6 months now (and then switch to 12 months)
would help spread our the large bills over the year. However, doing
this would mean it would run out on 28 Feb 2009 - thus the new tax would
start 1 Mar 2009.

I'm aware that new car tax bands kick in for March 2009 - (ours @
161g/km moves from band D to band H, just 1g/km outside band G,
increasing tax by 30) - but I wanted to check whether it would apply
for tax purchased in Feb (to start in March). If so, then I'd probably
just get the 12 months now, and do the 6 months thing next year. If the
rise doesn't kick in until 1 March 2009 (ie. purchases made before this
date, even for tax to start 1 March 2009), then I'd go for the 6 months now.

Thanks

Old August 20th 08, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
DervMan

"David Hearn" wrote in message
[...]

The VED you buy in February will be valid from the 1 March so you'll pay 1
March 2009 prices...

But really, for the sake of 30, it's not worth bothering about.

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Old August 20th 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Justin Cole

"DervMan" wrote in message
[...]

Less the premium for buying 6 months instead of 12 months.

I agree just let the annual renewals continue...

Justin.