uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

Written off car - lots of hassle

Old June 30th 08, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Martin[_2_]

Default Written off car - lots of hassle

A lad at work woke up to the sound of his car being wrecked.

The insurers wrote off his car, poor offer as well, they moaned like hell
because we removed the head unit and cd changer.

He didn't ask for his car to be written off yet he is treated like ****.

I was surprised that they messed around so much, he is now trying to claim
for all the costs of viewing a replacement, and then he still needs to buy a
new changer cable!

Old June 30th 08, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
james reilly

"Martin" wrote in message
A lad at work woke up to the sound of his car being wrecked.

The insurers wrote off his car, poor offer as well, they moaned like hell
because we removed the head unit and cd changer.

He didn't ask for his car to be written off yet he is treated like ****.

I was surprised that they messed around so much, he is now trying to claim
for all the costs of viewing a replacement, and then he still needs to buy
a new changer cable!

You can either accept a cash settlement or demand the insurer provides you
with a
car of similar age, mileage and value. They will usually give in and give
you the market
value which is often not what was paid - or what a person thinks a car is
worth.
What you can't do is accept an offer then remove bits for use or sale.

Old June 30th 08, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Dr Zoidberg[_3_]

"james reilly" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
A lad at work woke up to the sound of his car being wrecked.

The insurers wrote off his car, poor offer as well, they moaned like hell
because we removed the head unit and cd changer.

He didn't ask for his car to be written off yet he is treated like ****.

I was surprised that they messed around so much, he is now trying to
claim for all the costs of viewing a replacement, and then he still needs
to buy a new changer cable!

You can either accept a cash settlement or demand the insurer provides you
with a
car of similar age, mileage and value. They will usually give in and give
you the market
value which is often not what was paid - or what a person thinks a car is
worth.

I can see this being a big area of contention with larger thirsty vehicles
and people being very ****ed off with offers they receive
--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk

Old June 30th 08, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
DanB

"Martin" wrote in message
A lad at work woke up to the sound of his car being wrecked.

The insurers wrote off his car, poor offer as well, they moaned like hell
because we removed the head unit and cd changer.

He didn't ask for his car to be written off yet he is treated like ****.

I was surprised that they messed around so much, he is now trying to claim
for all the costs of viewing a replacement, and then he still needs to buy
a new changer cable!

He'll have hell claiming costs for viewing a replacement.

--
Dan
Clio R27 F1 #65

Old July 1st 08, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Martin[_2_]

I can see this being a big area of contention with larger thirsty vehicles
and people being very ****ed off with offers they receive

So can I

It is happening, a common thing now is to have the scrap car and break it
yourself - sometimes raising as much as the car is worth.

Old July 1st 08, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Martin[_2_]

You can either accept a cash settlement or demand the insurer provides you
with a
car of similar age, mileage and value. They will usually give in and give
you the market
value which is often not what was paid - or what a person thinks a car is
worth.

As he is the victim he has been moaning like hell for a better settlement,
he still doesn't understand why he should have any bills whatsoever, he
thinks all his car hunting should be paid for and that he should not be out
of pocket even 1p.

He refused to give back the hire car until he found a replacement and that
the insurers pay - that took a lot of moaning to get them to agree.

I have suggested small claims court for dozy cow.

What you can't do is accept an offer then remove bits for use or sale.

It is amazing what some parts which fall off are worth!

I had a written off RTA about 3 years ago, if I had some more time it would
have been a rolling shell, but I rescued tow bar, LPG kit, quite a bit of
exterior trim. reused the first two and got around 50 on ebay for the rest.

Old July 1st 08, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
DanB

"Martin" wrote in message
You can either accept a cash settlement or demand the insurer provides
you with a
car of similar age, mileage and value. They will usually give in and
give you the market
value which is often not what was paid - or what a person thinks a car is
worth.

As he is the victim he has been moaning like hell for a better settlement,
he still doesn't understand why he should have any bills whatsoever, he
thinks all his car hunting should be paid for and that he should not be
out of pocket even 1p.

He has a fair point though really, the idea of insurance is to put you back
into the same position you were before the incident. It's just in practice
it doesn't often work that way heh.

--
Dan
Clio R27 F1 #65

Old July 1st 08, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Martin[_2_]

He has offered to pay me to fit his H/U and changer !