uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

Anyone still use beam deflectors abroad?

Old February 27th 08, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Paul Giverin

Default Anyone still use beam deflectors abroad?

I tend to fly and hire when going to Europe these days but in a couple
of weeks I'll be taking my own car over to France. The last time I
fitted those stick on beam deflectors to my lights, they left a sticky
mess that I never got off.

I don't fancy making a mess of the lights on my newish car. Does anyone
still bother with them? I won't be driving at night hopefully. Come to
think of it, you never see beam deflectors fitted on the increasing
number of foreign registered cars.

Is there a cheap alternative to the stick on deflectors? Years ago I'd
have used black tape but its hard to tell which area to mask off on
modern cars.

--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website:- www.britjet.co.uk

My photos:- www.pbase.com/vendee
Old February 27th 08, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Pete M[_4_]

Paul Giverin wrote:
I tend to fly and hire when going to Europe these days but in a couple
of weeks I'll be taking my own car over to France. The last time I
fitted those stick on beam deflectors to my lights, they left a sticky
mess that I never got off.

I don't fancy making a mess of the lights on my newish car. Does anyone
still bother with them? I won't be driving at night hopefully. Come to
think of it, you never see beam deflectors fitted on the increasing
number of foreign registered cars.

Is there a cheap alternative to the stick on deflectors? Years ago I'd
have used black tape but its hard to tell which area to mask off on
modern cars.

Some more modern stuff has a switch on the headlamps to go from RHD to
LHD and back, my Scorpio does and it's 10 years old this year.

--
Pete M - OMF#9
Range Rover V8 Turbo
Old February 27th 08, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Paul Giverin

In message , Pete M
writes
Paul Giverin wrote:
I tend to fly and hire when going to Europe these days but in a
couple of weeks I'll be taking my own car over to France. The last
time I fitted those stick on beam deflectors to my lights, they left
a sticky mess that I never got off.
I don't fancy making a mess of the lights on my newish car. Does
anyone still bother with them? I won't be driving at night hopefully.
Come to think of it, you never see beam deflectors fitted on the
increasing number of foreign registered cars.
Is there a cheap alternative to the stick on deflectors? Years ago
I'd have used black tape but its hard to tell which area to mask off
on modern cars.

Some more modern stuff has a switch on the headlamps to go from RHD to
LHD and back, my Scorpio does and it's 10 years old this year.

I presume the lens didn't have a dip pattern and the switch just moved
the bulb/reflector from side to side?

Old February 27th 08, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Chris Whelan

Paul Giverin wrote:

I tend to fly and hire when going to Europe these days but in a couple
of weeks I'll be taking my own car over to France. The last time I
fitted those stick on beam deflectors to my lights, they left a sticky
mess that I never got off.

I don't fancy making a mess of the lights on my newish car. Does anyone
still bother with them? I won't be driving at night hopefully. Come to
think of it, you never see beam deflectors fitted on the increasing
number of foreign registered cars.

Is there a cheap alternative to the stick on deflectors? Years ago I'd
have used black tape but its hard to tell which area to mask off on
modern cars.

A couple of years ago, the French police were stopping all the RHD cars
coming from Eurotunnel if they had no beam deflectors fitted. I don't know
what they were making the miscreants do.

BTW, it the sticky residue from the beam deflectors is on a plastic
headlight, don't remove it with carb cleaner...

Blush

Err, not that *I* would be silly enough to try it!

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old February 27th 08, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Mike Lane

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:07:37 +0000, Paul Giverin wrote
(in article ):

I tend to fly and hire when going to Europe these days but in a couple
of weeks I'll be taking my own car over to France. The last time I
fitted those stick on beam deflectors to my lights, they left a sticky
mess that I never got off.

I don't fancy making a mess of the lights on my newish car. Does anyone
still bother with them? I won't be driving at night hopefully. Come to
think of it, you never see beam deflectors fitted on the increasing
number of foreign registered cars.

I don't any more. I can't imagine that anyone who drives abroad more than
once a year could be bothered sticking the nasty little bits of plastic on at
5 a time and then scraping them off again every few months.

You will always hear stories about police on the continent checking UK cars
for this and that, but I've never had anyone abroad show the slightest
interest in what I've got on or in my car.

--
Mike Lane (UK North Yorkshire)
To contact me replace invalid with mike underscore lane

Old February 27th 08, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Pete M[_4_]

Paul Giverin wrote:
In message , Pete M
writes
Paul Giverin wrote:
[...]

It's those polyellipsoidal jobs, so I think you're probably spot on.

--
Pete M - OMF#9
Range Rover V8 Turbo
Old February 28th 08, 05:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
DervMan

"Paul Giverin" wrote in message
I tend to fly and hire when going to Europe these days but in a couple of
weeks I'll be taking my own car over to France. The last time I fitted
those stick on beam deflectors to my lights, they left a sticky mess that I
never got off.

I don't fancy making a mess of the lights on my newish car. Does anyone
still bother with them? I won't be driving at night hopefully. Come to
think of it, you never see beam deflectors fitted on the increasing number
of foreign registered cars.

Is there a cheap alternative to the stick on deflectors? Years ago I'd
have used black tape but its hard to tell which area to mask off on modern
cars.

I used masking tape when one came off; it worked as well. This is on a
non-standard headlight.

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Old February 28th 08, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
John

Mike Lane wrote:
[...]

Then you've been lucky. For the sake of a few quid and then a bit of effort
getting the sticky stuff off (BTW, if you have a local Kleeneze or
Betterware agent, their Sticky Stuff Remover does the job brilliantly) do
you *really* want to take the risk of your insurance being void, a fine
and/or car being impounded?

And even if you don't intend to drive in the dark, traffic jams and/or
accidents could delay your progress until it became dark, or what if it's
just raining and dismal and you need lights on then?

Not to mention being a selfish scrote and not considering the fact that your
lights *will* dazzle oncoming drivers and whatever consequences that leads
to.

OP - get and fit some beam benders. Just my tuppenceworth

John

Old February 28th 08, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Clive George

"Chris Whelan" wrote in message

BTW, it the sticky residue from the beam deflectors is on a plastic
headlight, don't remove it with carb cleaner...

Blush

Err, not that *I* would be silly enough to try it!

Petrol works well IME.

cheers,
clive

Old February 28th 08, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Chris Whelan

Clive George wrote:

"Chris Whelan" wrote in message

BTW, it the sticky residue from the beam deflectors is on a plastic
headlight, don't remove it with carb cleaner...

Blush

Err, not that *I* would be silly enough to try it!

Petrol works well IME.

cheers,
clive

Sadly, my owner's handbook issued dire warnings about the plastic being
damaged by petrol! Wish I'd ignored them; a new headlamp was 100 quid.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.