uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

What car?

Old July 28th 07, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Matt

Default What car?

I've been driving a mk4 golf bog standard 1.6 which is not a very fun ride
or a individual car. Although its very very reliable, not one breakdown in 4
years, one broken window regulator clip and a new brake light switch needed
all common problems. But I think its time for a new batmobile as I'm kind of
bored to be honest of it and everyone and their granny has a golf.

I'm after some distinct (stop right now with little pionk Italian cars)
sporty, decent suspension, handling, good bootspace to chuck a amp in and a
buggy ;-) along with shopping from Tescos. Good for motorway driving and
town alike. Doesn't suck petrol (never driven a diesel so would consider
one) half leather and material seats. Good passenger legroom in back and
upfront. I like the build quality of the golf. All the usual creature
comforts and gadgets. Reliability is a must.

My wife thinks we need a people carriers but they don't tick any of my
boxes.

Budget 3/4k

Old July 28th 07, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Sandy Nuts

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Focus 1.8 TDCi. Probably not have the same perception of quality (and that's
all it is, perception), but are damn reliable and a hoot to drive.

Old July 28th 07, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Chris Whelan

Sandy Nuts wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Whilst a great fan of the Focus, might I point out that the boot space is
not over generous...

Much nicer to drive than a Golf though, that's for sure!

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old July 28th 07, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Conor

In article , Sandy Nuts
says...

Focus 1.8 TDCi. Probably not have the same perception of quality (and that's
all it is, perception), but are damn reliable and a hoot to drive.

Or Mondeo equivalent. Same as but with a decent boot.

--
Conor

It arrived at their repair center last week so only another month or so
to wait
Old July 28th 07, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Matt

"Chris Whelan" wrote in message
Sandy Nuts wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

The golf has treated me well but it does feel like a lot of labour driving
it. The notchy gearbox is not my favourite feature. I think the focus looks
like one to have a look at. Been reading you other post on your Lupo hope
everything is going well.

I do like the mk5 golf but I don't want to pay the VAG price tag anymore
when there cars out there that will do the same like skodas, seats all the
same thing.

Old July 28th 07, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Chris Whelan

Matt wrote:

[...]

I do like the mk5 golf but I don't want to pay the VAG price tag anymore
when there cars out there that will do the same like skodas, seats all the
same thing.

Have you driven a MK5? I thought it was dreadful! The cabin seemed really
dated and dreary; the 1.6 I drove was sluglike.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old July 28th 07, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Matt

"Chris Whelan" wrote in message
Matt wrote:

[...]

I do like the mk5 golf but I don't want to pay the VAG price tag anymore
when there cars out there that will do the same like skodas, seats all
the
same thing.

Have you driven a MK5? I thought it was dreadful! The cabin seemed really
dated and dreary; the 1.6 I drove was sluglike.

Chris

Actually no a lot of people I speak to say go thre 1.8T route, but I've had
enough of golfs unless theres an r32 going spare

I will have a closer look at the mk5 just out of curiosity.

Old July 29th 07, 04:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Sandy Nuts

"Chris Whelan" wrote in message

Focus 1.8 TDCi. Probably not have the same perception of quality (and
that's all it is, perception), but are damn reliable and a hoot to drive.

Whilst a great fan of the Focus, might I point out that the boot space is
not over generous...

Not been an owner of a Mk4 Golf, but I've not had any issues with the boot
space of SWMBO's Focus so far.

Much nicer to drive than a Golf though, that's for sure!

Everyone and their aunty knows that, though. Apart from SteveH. He's
determined the Focus and Mondeo drives **** compared to the VAG competition.

Old July 29th 07, 06:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Chris Whelan

Sandy Nuts wrote:

"Chris Whelan" wrote in message

Focus 1.8 TDCi. Probably not have the same perception of quality (and
that's all it is, perception), but are damn reliable and a hoot to
drive.

Whilst a great fan of the Focus, might I point out that the boot space is
not over generous...

Not been an owner of a Mk4 Golf, but I've not had any issues with the boot
space of SWMBO's Focus so far.

No, nor me, but the OP asked specifically for "good bootspace to chuck in an
amp and a buggy"; I'm not sure the Focus would meet those needs.

Much nicer to drive than a Golf though, that's for sure!

Everyone and their aunty knows that, though. Apart from SteveH. He's
determined the Focus and Mondeo drives **** compared to the VAG
competition.

Yes, I've been eagerly awaiting his contribution to this thread :-)

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old July 29th 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
SteveH

Chris Whelan wrote:

Everyone and their aunty knows that, though. Apart from SteveH. He's
determined the Focus and Mondeo drives **** compared to the VAG
competition.

Yes, I've been eagerly awaiting his contribution to this thread :-)

Well, all I can say is that the Channel Islands rental fleets must be
specially made Fords which drive like heaps junk, then.
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #