uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

How much can a P100 carry?

Old March 10th 06, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Willy Eckerslyke

Default How much can a P100 carry?

Seems I've just bought myself a Ford P100 pickup from my place of work.
My sealed tender was accepted and I have a K reg diseasel for 53 quid.
It failed an MOT around Christmas for something to do with the steering
rack and they were quoted 250 to get it through.
I intend to use it as a motorised wheelbarrow for a while, spreading
gravel along my drive, then I'll decide whether to get it MOT'd and flog
it or break it and sell the engine, etc.
But I'm wondering how much these things were designed to carry. And tow
for that matter.
Anyone know?

Interestingly, they seem to go for rather good money on Ebay too...
Old March 10th 06, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
NickD

Aren't they quite popular for Cosworth conversions? Could be some good
money in it...

Nick

Old March 10th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Willy Eckerslyke

NickD wrote:

Aren't they quite popular for Cosworth conversions? Could be some good
money in it...

Just had a look around and it seems you're right, there are some
seriously unhinged people out there!
I haven't actually collected it yet, and the last time I saw it was a
few months back when it was still in use, so I'm expecting the worst.
Especially as it spent most of its working life towing a bowser full of
seawater around. But hey, I can hardly lose at this price.
Old March 10th 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Weatherlawyer

Willy Eckerslyke wrote:
NickD wrote:

I haven't actually collected it yet, and the last time I saw it was a
few months back when it was still in use, so I'm expecting the worst.
Especially as it spent most of its working life towing a bowser full of
seawater around. But hey, I can hardly lose at this price.

It's the same as a Sierra/Transit. So it should cope with 2 tons, if
somewhat illegally. How many litres in the bowser? 10lb per gallon or
2.2lbs per litre.

10 shovels of sand or gravel is 1 cwt, if that helps.

Old March 10th 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Willy Eckerslyke

Weatherlawyer wrote:

It's the same as a Sierra/Transit.

Are their limits the same then? I'd always assumed a Transit would pull
more.

So it should cope with 2 tons, if
somewhat illegally.

But that's handy to know. Thanks.
Reckon I'd get a ton in the back of the thing if I don't bother with a
trailer?

How many litres in the bowser?

Erm, ...it only had a single axle. I'd guess 250 gallons, and it was
regularly filled to overflowing. So 1.25 tons + the trailer itself.
Quite a weight then.
Hmm, methinks I'm going to have fun with this!

10 shovels of sand or gravel is 1 cwt, if that helps.

African or European sand?
Old March 10th 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Conor

In article , Willy Eckerslyke
says...
Weatherlawyer wrote:

It's the same as a Sierra/Transit.

Are their limits the same then? I'd always assumed a Transit would pull
more.

How much it can pull is irrelevent.

So it should cope with 2 tons, if
somewhat illegally.

But that's handy to know. Thanks.
Reckon I'd get a ton in the back of the thing if I don't bother with a
trailer?

Nope. It'll sit on its arse and the first Trafpol you see will pull you
and get/take you to VOSA to get the axle weights checked. Four figure
fines for being over.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 10th 06, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Pete M

In ,
Willy Eckerslyke wrote something quite bizarre,
possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;
Seems I've just bought myself a Ford P100 pickup from my place of
work. My sealed tender was accepted and I have a K reg diseasel for
53 quid. It failed an MOT around Christmas for something to do with
the steering rack and they were quoted 250 to get it through.
I intend to use it as a motorised wheelbarrow for a while, spreading
gravel along my drive, then I'll decide whether to get it MOT'd and
flog it or break it and sell the engine, etc.
But I'm wondering how much these things were designed to carry. And
tow for that matter.
Anyone know?

Interestingly, they seem to go for rather good money on Ebay too...

In my mates bodyshop today there was a truly frighteningly immaculate, 10k
miles, one owner, P100.

Surrounded by lots of quality stuff it was;

3 RS500 Sierras
2 3dr Sierra RS Cosworths
2 Mk1 RS2000s
1 Ex Carlos Sainz Escort Cosworth - complete with FMC reg
4 Impreza Turbos
3 Mitsubishi Evos
1 Mk2 RS 1800s
My 911 :-p

Had to leave, the trail of drool was getting embarassing.

--
Pete M - Scouse Git Extraordinaire
Renault Safrane 2.5 Executive,

"This is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules"

Old March 11th 06, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Weatherlawyer

Conor wrote:

Nope. It'll sit on its arse and the first Trafpol you see will pull you
and get/take you to VOSA to get the axle weights checked. Four figure
fines for being over.

I doubt that. I used to know a mechanic who had a pick up that was
absolutely stashed with ironmongery. Must have been nearly a ton in
there most of the time, day and night.

What would be the point of having a pick up that couldn't cope with
more than a little van? You can get 2 tons in a transit without it
looking too bad. But there must be tables online somewhere that show
max laden weights.

Old March 11th 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
AstraVanMan

"Weatherlawyer" wrote:
Nope. It'll sit on its arse and the first Trafpol you see will pull you
and get/take you to VOSA to get the axle weights checked. Four figure
fines for being over.

I doubt that. I used to know a mechanic who had a pick up that was
absolutely stashed with ironmongery. Must have been nearly a ton in
there most of the time, day and night.

What would be the point of having a pick up that couldn't cope with
more than a little van? You can get 2 tons in a transit without it
looking too bad. But there must be tables online somewhere that show
max laden weights.

First off - is an imperial ton really *less* than 1000kg? A quick use of
google's converter jobbie says that 2 tons = 1.814 tonnes (1814kg). So
unless it's a Transit with the rating above the 350 model (3.5 Tonnes GVW)
then taking 2 tons is on very dodgy ground 'cos it "doesn't look too bad".

I haven't got the figures to hand, but the average empty big van is going to
weigh around the 1700-1800kg mark (slightly more for the heavier duty ones),
and most of them have a GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of either 2800kg or
3500kg, with a few in between (and occasionally one smaller - Transit 260)
offered by some manufacturers.

Suppose people have pickups for a variety of reasons - often relating to the
type of stuff they're carrying, and how it's going to be loaded/unloaded. A
good example is big heavy RSJs - they might well fit in a LWB Sprinter, but
they're going to be needed to be unloaded by crane, so an open-back truck is
going to be much more desirable.

--
Advertise Here. e-mail SigAds [at] WhatThe****.TV for rates

Old March 11th 06, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
SteveH

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Conor wrote:

Nope. It'll sit on its arse and the first Trafpol you see will pull you
and get/take you to VOSA to get the axle weights checked. Four figure
fines for being over.

I doubt that.

I remember some Iceland delivery drivers being hit with fines for having
overweight Transits. So, yes, it happens.
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Fiat Marea 20v HLX - COSOC KOTL