uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

When did Volvo lose their doors?

Old January 13th 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Martin

Default When did Volvo lose their doors?

On the same vein why and when did all Volvos lose their doors

eg 244, 264, 245, 265 where variants on the 2xx car with I4 or V6 engines
and 4 saloon or 5 estate doors.

Then it was 740 rather than 745, 744

Old January 13th 05, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Nick Finnigan

"Martin" wrote in message
On the same vein why and when did all Volvos lose their doors

eg 244, 264, 245, 265 where variants on the 2xx car with I4 or V6 engines
and 4 saloon or 5 estate doors.

Then it was 740 rather than 745, 744

Looks like 1982, for 244 to become 240 etc.

Old January 13th 05, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
DC

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:49:45 -0000, "Martin" wrote:

On the same vein why and when did all Volvos lose their doors

eg 244, 264, 245, 265 where variants on the 2xx car with I4 or V6 engines
and 4 saloon or 5 estate doors.

Then it was 740 rather than 745, 744

They didn't!

At least, not internally.

When we ordered a 5 door 360 in 1985, the sales invoice described it
as a 365 GL.

DC
Old January 13th 05, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Depresion

"DC" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:49:45 -0000, "Martin" wrote:

On the same vein why and when did all Volvos lose their doors

eg 244, 264, 245, 265 where variants on the 2xx car with I4 or V6 engines
and 4 saloon or 5 estate doors.

Then it was 740 rather than 745, 744

They didn't!

At least, not internally.

When we ordered a 5 door 360 in 1985, the sales invoice described it
as a 365 GL.

It has to save them all of 5p on the badge.

Old January 13th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Martin

When we ordered a 5 door 360 in 1985, the sales invoice described it
as a 365 GL.

A car those in the know like but everyone else takes the **** out of.

How can you take the **** out of a 2.0l RWD hatch is beyond me - a friend
had one!

I have heard people discussing 944 = 940 saloon

Old January 13th 05, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Steve Knight

Then it was 740 rather than 745, 744

The Volvo purists still describe them in this way.

--
Remove Xs to reply direct

Old January 13th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Taz

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
k...
Then it was 740 rather than 745, 744

The Volvo purists still describe them in this way.

--
Remove Xs to reply direct

I believe Volvo have always referred to their cars that way eg. 744, 764
etc. internally. Only the marketing side changed.

Old January 13th 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Carl Gibbs

"Martin" wrote in message
When we ordered a 5 door 360 in 1985, the sales invoice described it
as a 365 GL.

A car those in the know like but everyone else takes the **** out of.

How can you take the **** out of a 2.0l RWD hatch is beyond me - a friend
had one!

Wow i've found someone else that likes them! I almost brought a 55000mile D
reg 360GLT this week, but someone had snapped it up whilst on was holiday
for 200 Gutted!

I have heard people discussing 944 = 940 saloon

Old January 14th 05, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Adrian

Martin ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

On the same vein why and when did all Volvos lose their doors

When Michael Caine got a job in their marketing dept.
Old January 14th 05, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
DC

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:25:15 -0000, "Carl Gibbs"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
When we ordered a 5 door 360 in 1985, the sales invoice described it
as a 365 GL.

A car those in the know like but everyone else takes the **** out of.

How can you take the **** out of a 2.0l RWD hatch is beyond me - a friend
had one!

Wow i've found someone else that likes them! I almost brought a 55000mile D
reg 360GLT this week, but someone had snapped it up whilst on was holiday
for 200 Gutted!

They were nicely balanced cars,front engine + rear transaxle = 50 / 50
weight distribution.

The layout was forced upon Volvo when they decided to make a manual
transmission version of the original DAF 77 then Volvo 340 Variomatic
design.
Because the drive belts were / are so bulky, the back seat has to be
raised to find space for them, leaving ample space for a transaxle.
The transaxle was necessary 'cos there was no room at the front for a
conventional gearbox without designing a complete new foor-pan.

Since the transaxle is fixed to the bodyshell, a live axle won't work,
so either IRS or a De-Dion axle is required.
DAF chose the De-Dion axle, probably cheaper to make, & with the
advantage that the wheel to wheel rear suspension geometry alway
remains contant, with a little permanent negative camber.

They look like top-heavy cars, but the COG is quite low, they can be
chucked around with "gay" abandon without coming to harm.
We were running a FWD car at the same time, but the 360 was never a
problem in ice or snow, unlike some of the other RWD cars around in
the mid-80's.

(Anorak details:-)

The 340 1.7 with the Renault engine has the same layout as the 360's
with short-stroke Volvo lumps, but with one major difference, the
360's utilize a torque-tube to join the engine & transaxle, whereas
the 340's have separately mounted engines & transaaxles with an open,
spider- jointed propshaft.

No big deal, except that the 340 has the gear-shift mounted on the
ransmission tunnel, whereas the 360 has it mounted on the torque-tube.
Result, a much more positive gearshift on the 360, as there is no
unwanted movement between the gear lever & the gearbox.
A nice short & positive shift, IMHO.

Yup, I like them too, very under-rated, much more fn & better value
than the competition, which, pricewise would be have been Escorts,
Astra's & similar such vehicles.

We bought ours after being "Pendled" buy a local Ford dealer into
buying an Escort that we realy didn't want.
We stopped the deposit cheque, cancelled the order, dropped by the
local Volvo dealer & found that we could have a 2 litre Volvo for the
dame price as a 1.6 Escort GL.
He did a great job in "soft-selling" us the car, he first proved that
we could afford it, with a reasonable trade-in offer + affordable
finance.
He then put us in his demonstrator, (on our own) for 20 mins. one
evening on the way home from work.
He then insisted that I take it out again for 3/4 hours the next
Saturday before signing the order for.

Makes sense for him, let the punters sell themselves a car!

Happy days, when car salespeople were left to their own devices by
their management, still produces good results but without having to
follow todays "structured" selling techniques.

Cheers, David C.