uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

Brake light not working.

Old January 3rd 05, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
GazChap

Default Brake light not working.

Hi all,

When I took my Ibiza into the garage the other week to get the rattling
noise sorted, I also noticed that the left brake light wasn't working.
I asked him to replace the bulb, which he did.

Just checked my lights today and the same light has stopped working
again. I did notice a week ago that there seemed to be water getting on
to the cables behind the bulbs somehow, but not actually on to the PCB
with the bulbs in. The water was just dripping into the bottom of the
boot.

I would assume that this repeated outage is something to do with that
water, but the rear lights (i.e. the ones that come on with the front
lights) works fine - its just the filament that doesn't light up when
you put the brakes on. Surely if it was water damage, the bulb would
just stop working altogether?

I've replaced the bulb and its working now, but I'm assuming that this
is going to keep happening. Any ideas what is causing it, if it isn't
the water?

Cheers,
GazChap.
--
http://www.gazchap.com

Old January 3rd 05, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
[email protected]

Apparently on date 3 Jan 2005 07:53:06 -0800, "GazChap"
said:

I've replaced the bulb and its working now, but I'm assuming that this
is going to keep happening. Any ideas what is causing it, if it isn't
the water?

From experience, the positive wire carrying current to the bulb is less often
the problem compared with the earthing, which tends to get rusty.

Particularly when the earthing is done direct to the bodywork, although I doubt
that's common these days.