uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

Why don't manufacturers fit performance exhausts / induction kits etc as standard?

Old December 22nd 04, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Alex Boosbeck

Default Why don't manufacturers fit performance exhausts / induction kits etc as standard?

Hi all. I never really did understand why there is a market for such
"devices". Surely the car manufacturers are capable of designing
product just as good for the same price?

ie my car has a K&N induction kit, cost 60, improves mpg, and gives
about 10bhp extra, so why not fit it as standard? Same for a
performance exhaust, gives about 20-25bhp extra, and must still be
legal or else it wouldn't pass mot etc, so why don't they make it
standard? I suppose with exhausts there's the noise issue, and whilst
not illegal people maybe prefer a quieter car, but still I think a
performance exhaust should give more mpg too, what with the increased
breathing etc?

AL.
Old December 22nd 04, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Mike G

"Alex Boosbeck" wrote in message
Hi all. I never really did understand why there is a market for such
"devices". Surely the car manufacturers are capable of designing
product just as good for the same price?

ie my car has a K&N induction kit, cost 60, improves mpg, and gives
about 10bhp extra, so why not fit it as standard? Same for a
performance exhaust, gives about 20-25bhp extra, and must still be
legal or else it wouldn't pass mot etc, so why don't they make it
standard? I suppose with exhausts there's the noise issue, and whilst
not illegal people maybe prefer a quieter car, but still I think a
performance exhaust should give more mpg too, what with the increased
breathing etc?

Where did those figures come from. Fairyland?
You shouldn't believe everything the manufacturers tell you.
Mike.

Old December 22nd 04, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Alex Boosbeck wrote:
ie my car has a K&N induction kit, cost 60, improves mpg, and gives
about 10bhp extra, so why not fit it as standard? Same for a
performance exhaust, gives about 20-25bhp extra, and must still be
legal or else it wouldn't pass mot etc, so why don't they make it
standard?

Why indeed? The answer is these things rarely give any increase in
performance *at all* on a modern car. The extra noise they make just gives
the impression they do.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 22nd 04, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Ben Blaney

Alex Boosbeck wrote:

Surely the car manufacturers are capable of designing
product just as good for the same price?

Porsche do.

--
Ben Blaney
Old December 22nd 04, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
G-man

"Alex Boosbeck" wrote in message
Hi all. I never really did understand why there is a market for such
"devices". Surely the car manufacturers are capable of designing
product just as good for the same price?

ie my car has a K&N induction kit, cost 60, improves mpg, and gives
about 10bhp extra, so why not fit it as standard?

Because it doesn't. My mate fitted an induction kit to his 6n2 Polo 1.4
(75bhp) and I swear, it was like he just swapped out the engine for a 1.2!
OK so it made a nice induction roar, but made it perform like a dog.

Same for a performance exhaust, gives about 20-25bhp extra, and must still
be
legal or else it wouldn't pass mot etc

So you're telling me from fitting an induction kit and "performance"
exhaust, your car is now 30-35bhp up on it's standard spec? I think perhaps
you should start thinking about removing all those mods, selling the car and
buying a scooter. It makes noise.

Ta,
G.

Old December 22nd 04, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Alex Boosbeck

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:14:58 -0000, "Mike G"
wrote:

ie my car has a K&N induction kit, cost 60, improves mpg, and gives
about 10bhp extra, so why not fit it as standard? Same for a
performance exhaust, gives about 20-25bhp extra, and must still be
legal or else it wouldn't pass mot etc, so why don't they make it
standard? I suppose with exhausts there's the noise issue, and whilst
not illegal people maybe prefer a quieter car, but still I think a
performance exhaust should give more mpg too, what with the increased
breathing etc?

Where did those figures come from. Fairyland?
You shouldn't believe everything the manufacturers tell you.

know what you mean, but hey, are really people so stupid they will pay
big money to make their car sound better if it had no noticeable
effect apart from that? Then again, I guess these are the same people
that will pay 30 a meter for loudspeaker wire.

Alex

Old December 22nd 04, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Alex Boosbeck

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:48:28 GMT, "G-man"
wrote:

So you're telling me from fitting an induction kit and "performance"
exhaust, your car is now 30-35bhp up on it's standard spec?

Well, I don't have a performance exhaust, just the K&N induction kit -
according to the K&N website, this kit should give between 5-10% extra
bhp. One of the best ways to tune my car is a decent exhaust to remove
as much of the back pressure on the turbo as possible. I would be
disappointed if a decent tuned performance exhaust, and a quality
induction kit gave any less that 30bhp extra..

I think perhaps
you should start thinking about removing all those mods, selling the car and
buying a scooter. It makes noise.

If i want to make noise, I just plug my guitar in................

Alex.
Old December 22nd 04, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Andy R

"Mike G" wrote in message

"Alex Boosbeck" wrote in message
Hi all. I never really did understand why there is a market for such
"devices". Surely the car manufacturers are capable of designing
product just as good for the same price?

ie my car has a K&N induction kit, cost 60, improves mpg, and gives
about 10bhp extra, so why not fit it as standard? Same for a
performance exhaust, gives about 20-25bhp extra, and must still be
legal or else it wouldn't pass mot etc, so why don't they make it
standard? I suppose with exhausts there's the noise issue, and whilst
not illegal people maybe prefer a quieter car, but still I think a
performance exhaust should give more mpg too, what with the increased
breathing etc?

Where did those figures come from. Fairyland?
You shouldn't believe everything the manufacturers tell you.
Mike.

Do you also get 5 bhp from the speed stripes, and another 5 from the K&N
sticker under your indicator?

Old December 22nd 04, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Alex Boosbeck wrote:
Well, I don't have a performance exhaust, just the K&N induction kit -
according to the K&N website, this kit should give between 5-10% extra
bhp.

Yup. It's called advertising. Replace an old well and truly blocked
airfilter with a shiny new K&N and you get your extra 10% power with
better MPG. They're only telling the truth. As they see it.

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done.*

Old December 22nd 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Clive George

"Alex Boosbeck" wrote in message
Well, I don't have a performance exhaust, just the K&N induction kit -
according to the K&N website, this kit should give between 5-10% extra
bhp.

Giggle...

One of the best ways to tune my car is a decent exhaust to remove
as much of the back pressure on the turbo as possible. I would be
disappointed if a decent tuned performance exhaust, and a quality
induction kit gave any less that 30bhp extra..

What car? I'd be disappointed if I'd bought a performance turbo car and they
hadn't already put in a decent induction system. Quiet exhaust, maybe.

(as a sort of aside, I was reading some of Dave Baker's stuff, particularly
the stuff about tuning the peugeot 205 GTi engine. Basically it appears that
peugeot did a pretty good job of it out of the factory, so you have to try
quite hard compared to improving something like a CVH)

cheers,
clive