uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

Fuel Quality - Petrol

Old September 14th 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Sim

Default Fuel Quality - Petrol

I was once told by a mechanic always use BP as it more refined and better
for the engine.
I must admit I can always tell a immediate difference with BP.

I never use the supermarket fuel, does it make that much difference, also
who supplies these supermarkets?

VW dealership recently told me I should use Shell Optimax as in the long run
I will save more on fuel, how's that?

Thanks

Old September 15th 04, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Abo

Sim wrote:
I was once told by a mechanic always use BP as it more refined and
better for the engine.
I must admit I can always tell a immediate difference with BP.

I never use the supermarket fuel, does it make that much difference,
also who supplies these supermarkets?

BP...

I always thought that supermarket fuel was cack, and said as much to one of
the supervisors when I worked at Safeway (years ago, when I was at college).
She told me it was ********; she was transferred from another store which
had a petrol station, and she claimed that they used to swap tankers with
the BP station around the corner quite often.

I use Shell, anyway

VW dealership recently told me I should use Shell Optimax as in the
long run I will save more on fuel, how's that?

I *seem* to get better mpg from Optimax. Could be psychological; but Optimax
is 98.4 octane so it could be getting a more efficient burn?

Old September 15th 04, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Adrian

Abo ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

I *seem* to get better mpg from Optimax. Could be psychological; but
Optimax is 98.4 octane so it could be getting a more efficient burn?

Only if your car has a knock sensor and a base map that'll take advantage
of that extra octane.
Old September 15th 04, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Alan Steele - Steeles of Worthing

Certain Corsas can suffer from sticking valves which can be an expensive
repair. We often get an improvement by getting them to switch to a major
brand fuel with additives.

Fuels do vary although the cheaper brands and supermarkets are a lot better
nowadays. They do not contain the detergents/additives though.

We recommend sticking to the major brand fuels.

Optimax can improve performance and fuel consumption and pay for itself but
only really on a higher performance/modern engine.

--

Alan Steele

Steeles of Worthing
www.steeles.co.uk

Old September 15th 04, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Andy Turner

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:28:15 +0100, "Sim"
wrote:

I was once told by a mechanic always use BP as it more refined and better
for the engine.
I must admit I can always tell a immediate difference with BP.

I never use the supermarket fuel, does it make that much difference, also
who supplies these supermarkets?

I once had an episode with a previous car and supermarket fuels that
has put me off them for life. Car was fine for years, then started
misfiring now and then after using supermarket fuel. It was in and out
of the garage, I had allsorts checked on the car (a Sierra), but they
never figured it out and eventually it went away (many subsequent
non-supermarket fuels fills later). I'd suspected it, but since I'd
gone from empty to full a number of times with non-supermarket fuels
and with the symptoms remaining, I'd come to discount it.

Then a few months later I found myself having to use a supermarket
again and exactly the same thing happened. It was almost like the car
was on the edge of tolerance and the quality of the fuel just pushed
it over the edge.

VW dealership recently told me I should use Shell Optimax as in the long run
I will save more on fuel, how's that?

Funnily enough, I've just been saying this elsewhere. With Optimax, I
don't seem to get much difference in power, but the engine sounds
smoother. However, I do seem to get an increase in MPG. I've kinda put
this down to perhaps there being an increase in power that I don't
really notice, but it means I don't have my foot down quite as much in
order to reach or cruise at the same speeds.

andyt

Old September 15th 04, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Andy Turner

wrote:

VW dealership recently told me I should use Shell Optimax as in the long run
I will save more on fuel, how's that?

One other point - Optimax isn't available everywhere so if you have to
go out of your way to get it, then chances are you've just wasted the
extra MPG that you might have got...

andyt

Old September 15th 04, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
John Laird

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:11:50 GMT, " Abo "
wrote:

I *seem* to get better mpg from Optimax. Could be psychological; but Optimax
is 98.4 octane so it could be getting a more efficient burn?

Only if your engine management system has been programmed to advance
ignition if higher-octane fuel is used. I would suspect this is unlikely
for non-performance engines, but icbw.

--
This is NOT Burger King. You do not get it YOUR way.

Mail john rather than nospam...
Old September 15th 04, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
S R

One other point - Optimax isn't available everywhere so if you have to
go out of your way to get it, then chances are you've just wasted the
extra MPG that you might have got...

Scotland, for example (well, last time I was there....).

Don't know if it's true but I've heard that most of the petrol sold in
Scotland comes from the BP refinery at Grangemeouth.

S R

Old September 15th 04, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Carl Farrington

Abo wrote:
Sim wrote:
[...]

Optimax is higher density. There is more of it for a given volume. However,
as I understand it, fuel is delivered by volume in EFI cars, so that
counteracts that argument.
Density information was taken from a canadian shell site or something, ages
ago, as part of a comparison between BP "extra" or whatever it's called and
Optimax.

Old September 15th 04, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Peter Hill

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:53:44 +0100, "Alan Steele - Steeles of
Worthing" wrote:

Certain Corsas can suffer from sticking valves which can be an expensive
repair. We often get an improvement by getting them to switch to a major
brand fuel with additives.

Fuels do vary although the cheaper brands and supermarkets are a lot better
nowadays. They do not contain the detergents/additives though.

The ADSA pumps quite clearly state "contains detergent additives"

We recommend sticking to the major brand fuels.

Optimax can improve performance and fuel consumption and pay for itself but
only really on a higher performance/modern engine.

--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
Can of worms - what every fisherman wants.
Can of worms - what every PC owner gets!