uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

Are BMWs SUCH a great drive?

Old April 13th 04, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
John Smith

Default Are BMWs SUCH a great drive?

Hi,

I've never driven a BMW but everyone tells me they are fantastic to drive
and extremely well-built - is this the case or is it part true, part hype?

Every BMW I have seen seems VERY basic and austere inside when compared to
Japanese cars. Mind you, most German cars seem very austere compared to
Japanese cars and lack the spec you get in Japanese cars. Or am I completely
wrong?

Is it true that the build quality and reliability of BMWs, Audis, Mercs and
Golfs have gone done in recent years and that many are now made in places
like South Africa, Brazil, etc?

John.

Old April 13th 04, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Pete M

In news:[email protected],
John Smith decided to enlighten
our sheltered souls with a rant as follows
Hi,

I've never driven a BMW but everyone tells me they are fantastic to
drive and extremely well-built - is this the case or is it part true,
part hype?

They used to be very good fun to drive, the original 323i was a superb
drivers car, as was the later 325i and most of the mid 80's range. However,
when they were replaced with the later 3 series they weren't anywhere near
as good in my opinion. Build quality suffered, handling lost its sharpness,
and the whole car just felt like it was trying to hard to be sensible. My
540i was a good car, but build quality was nowhere near as good as on my old
323i. Handling was nowhere near as much fun either. The safety Nazis
destroyed BMW in my eyes.

Every BMW I have seen seems VERY basic and austere inside when
compared to Japanese cars. Mind you, most German cars seem very
austere compared to Japanese cars and lack the spec you get in
Japanese cars. Or am I completely wrong?

The basic ones are austere, but they are very well laid out and 99% of the
time everything works as it should. I know I'd rather travel across Europe
in a well specced Krautmobile rather than any Japmobile.

Is it true that the build quality and reliability of BMWs, Audis,
Mercs and Golfs have gone done in recent years and that many are now
made in places like South Africa, Brazil, etc?

Yup, but they're getting better again now. The new 5 series is a different
league from the frankly shabby E39.

If you want to drive a really badly built car, try an M Class Mercedes.
They're bloody awful. I own a 1982 Mercedes and the build quality on it is
frankly unreal. Everything in it feels like it'll never break, even the bits
that *have* broken feel like they're carved from solid granite, but then
again, the 80's S class was the last car MB made without compromise.

--
Pete M

Alfa 164 TS,
Mercedes 500 SEL,
Jaguar XJ-S 3.6,
(And they're all for sale)

Scouse Git extraordinaire.
Liverpool, Great Britain

Old April 13th 04, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Pete M

In ,
Pete M decided to enlighten
our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

If you want to drive a really badly built car, try an M Class
Mercedes.

Or my XJ-S!!!

Old April 13th 04, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
AstraVanMan

If you want to drive a really badly built car, try an M Class
Mercedes.

Or my XJ-S!!!

For sale, isn't it? :-)

Peter

Old April 13th 04, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Pete M

In ,
AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered
souls with a rant as follows
If you want to drive a really badly built car, try an M Class
Mercedes.

Or my XJ-S!!!

For sale, isn't it? :-)

indeed it is, but not because of the shabby build quality. It's actually
screwed together rather well for a Jag, it's just that "quite well for a
Jag" is sort of sub-Yugo. Doesn't rattle though, at all! and it's not got
the old Fiat syndrome of a glovebox full of bits that fell off.

--
Pete M

Alfa 164 TS,
Mercedes 500 SEL,
Jaguar XJ-S 3.6,
(And they're all for sale)

Scouse Git extraordinaire.
Liverpool, Great Britain

Old April 13th 04, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
FEo2 Welder

"Pete M" wrote in message
.. My
540i was a good car, but build quality was nowhere near as good as on my

old
323i. Handling was nowhere near as much fun either. The safety Nazis
destroyed BMW in my eyes.

They all got too heavy......

Wasn't the early 323i a mere 1095kgs.
The current one 1600kgs.

Thats why they have huge horsepower .... just to be slightly, ever so
slightly
faster than the oldies.

--
For every two hours a garage mechanic works, you get billed for four,
even though the job should have taken eight to do properly.

Regards.....
Steve.

(Email Address Is Phoney).

---

Old April 14th 04, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Dave Plowman

In article [email protected],
John Smith wrote:
I've never driven a BMW but everyone tells me they are fantastic to
drive and extremely well-built - is this the case or is it part true,
part hype?

I find mine ('97 528) auto enjoyable to drive, but then my experience of
similar cars tends to be just a test drive, so in the first instance I
relied on mags like Autocar, which at the time reckoned it the dog's
dangly bits in its class. Later, they reckon the revised S Type beat it.

I'm happy enough with the build quality - it's still rattle free at 70,000
miles, and not much has given trouble.

Every BMW I have seen seems VERY basic and austere inside when compared
to Japanese cars. Mind you, most German cars seem very austere compared
to Japanese cars and lack the spec you get in Japanese cars. Or am I
completely wrong?

Depends. I bought mine secondhand, and it was specced up to the eyeballs.
Can't think of anything I'd like on it it hasn't got. Buying new, I doubt
I'd pay for all the toys - just too expensive.

Is it true that the build quality and reliability of BMWs, Audis, Mercs
and Golfs have gone done in recent years and that many are now made in
places like South Africa, Brazil, etc?

VW group and Merc have done very badly recently in the Which members
survey. BMW have been about the same - not at the top of the class.

I've had three 5 Series starting with an '87 520, then a '92 525, and I'd
say build quality - the bits you don't see - have got worse with each
model. But each model is a better car than the previous one. I'm *really*
not sure about the latest one - the E60 - it's just sooooooo ugly.

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Old April 14th 04, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
J.i.d.i

"John Smith" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hi,

I've never driven a BMW but everyone tells me they are fantastic to drive
and extremely well-built - is this the case or is it part true, part hype?

Every BMW I have seen seems VERY basic and austere inside when compared to
Japanese cars. Mind you, most German cars seem very austere compared to
Japanese cars and lack the spec you get in Japanese cars. Or am I

completely
wrong?

Is it true that the build quality and reliability of BMWs, Audis, Mercs

and
Golfs have gone done in recent years and that many are now made in places
like South Africa, Brazil, etc?

Japanese are gadget freaks, even their toilets are better equipped than
German ones!
Consider that improvemnets in safety and comfort/noise reduction etc have
all made cars heavier and less fun to drive, I believe most German makers
now use recycable material in cars giving the impression of cheapness. The
best guide in build quality is to look at the condition for the same age
cars on the road, I still find BMW's and other German cars to look better
for their age than others.