uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

MOT Inspection Appeals

Old November 18th 03, 04:18 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cars.imports,uk.rec.cars.misc
Bystander

Default MOT Inspection Appeals

I own a Vauxhall Senator 24valve, C30SE engine (for those in the
know), with a logbook stating first use of Mar 1993.

What a superb car! I put 150,000 miles on a 12v Senator about 10 years ago,
and it was the nicest car I have ever had. I now have an Omega, but it
hasn't got the same class.

I can't see anything worse than no MoT (which is not endorseable, and which
does not invalidate your insurance). You appear to be doing all you can to
right this. I do not know the law about type approval and the other
technicalities, but I wish you well in sorting out a paperwork problem.

Old November 18th 03, 05:04 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cars.imports,uk.rec.cars.misc
Driver

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:18:14 -0000, "Bystander"
wrote:

I own a Vauxhall Senator 24valve, C30SE engine (for those in the
know), with a logbook stating first use of Mar 1993.

What a superb car! I put 150,000 miles on a 12v Senator about 10 years ago,
and it was the nicest car I have ever had. I now have an Omega, but it
hasn't got the same class.

I can't see anything worse than no MoT (which is not endorseable, and which
does not invalidate your insurance). You appear to be doing all you can to
right this. I do not know the law about type approval and the other
technicalities, but I wish you well in sorting out a paperwork problem.

Cheers, Bystander - I *am* doing all I can.

In the event I am stopped, I plan to carry the MOT failure document
(to prove that the cat test is the *only* problem) and the records
(and log numbers) of the dilemma with Vauxhall, so I can prove this.

All I can do, I suppose. If Vauxhall don't agree to a Non-Compliance
certificate, I'm kinda out of luck. I have a stainless steel exhaust
system fitted, so retrofitting cat's from an equivalent UK model would
be very hard. (Yes, I'm exploring that option too - but the ECU would
have to be replaced to allow for this - also a big hit in performance)

BTW, I'm up to 267,000 miles, do you think I've had my moneysworth
yet?
Old November 18th 03, 07:41 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cars.imports,uk.rec.cars.misc
Doki

"Driver" wrote in message

I have a stainless steel exhaust
system fitted, so retrofitting cat's from an equivalent UK model would
be very hard. (Yes, I'm exploring that option too - but the ECU would
have to be replaced to allow for this - also a big hit in performance)

Really? I've heard of people de-catting Carltons without having to do any
ECU jiggery pokery, though I suppose a specific non-cat ecu might run a bit
too rich for a cat to put up with.

Old November 18th 03, 11:14 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cars.imports,uk.rec.cars.misc
Benedict White

wrote:

I own a Vauxhall Senator 24valve, C30SE engine (for those in the
know), with a logbook stating first use of Mar 1993.

What a superb car! I put 150,000 miles on a 12v Senator about 10 years ago,
and it was the nicest car I have ever had. I now have an Omega, but it
hasn't got the same class.

I can't see anything worse than no MoT (which is not endorseable, and which
does not invalidate your insurance). You appear to be doing all you can to
right this. I do not know the law about type approval and the other
technicalities, but I wish you well in sorting out a paperwork problem.

Cheers, Bystander - I *am* doing all I can.

In the event I am stopped, I plan to carry the MOT failure document
(to prove that the cat test is the *only* problem) and the records
(and log numbers) of the dilemma with Vauxhall, so I can prove this.

Er, no, that is not my recommendation.

Your best bet is no comment. You could lie and say you think you have, but when
I looked for perverting the course of justice lying about whatever it was got
people 3 months inside.

If you go for no comment they will give you a 7 day wonder. You will not have an
MOT and will get a fine. If you tell them why you have not got an MOT they have
you 4 points,

If you don't, they have to figure it out.

It comes down to the copper on the day.

BTW, I'm up to 267,000 miles, do you think I've had my moneysworth
yet?

No.

But then I am not a lawyer.

Kind regards

--
Benedict White

Old November 18th 03, 11:43 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cars.imports,uk.rec.cars.misc
Take a Walk

In the event I am stopped, I plan to carry the MOT failure document
(to prove that the cat test is the *only* problem) and the records
(and log numbers) of the dilemma with Vauxhall, so I can prove this.

Er, no, that is not my recommendation.

Your best bet is no comment. You could lie and say you think you have, but when
I looked for perverting the course of justice lying about whatever it was got
people 3 months inside.

If you go for no comment they will give you a 7 day wonder. You will not have an
MOT and will get a fine. If you tell them why you have not got an MOT they have
you 4 points,

If you don't, they have to figure it out.

It comes down to the copper on the day.

I have never tried it, but always thought that if you managed to get a car
MOT'd during the 7 day produce period, and then produced THAT mot
certificate, the police would be satisfied - given that the car was now
legitimate? Surely if you blagged it that you had 'lost' the previuos
certificate and since it had 'nearly expired' you just got the car MOT'd
rather than pay for a copy the old one.
Or you could say the old one expired during the week and this was the new
certificate.
Surely the police would rather accept the car was Ok now rather than waste
time chasing the offence through the courts?

Anyway, I thought they were linking MOT certs to the DVLA database, so
that a car's MOT status could be looked up, rather than relying on a peice
of paper. The Post Office is required to see the MOT cert before issuing a
tax disc, surely it wouldn't be to much for them to record the MOT expiry
date at the same time and write it on the tax disc?

Old November 19th 03, 12:00 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cars.imports,uk.rec.cars.misc
Benedict White

Take a Walk wrote:

[...]

Correct. In most cases, they would then assume that it was OK when they stopped it
from the point of view of endorsable offences, and now all they could go on was a 30
fine so why bother.

Not guaranteed, depends on how you deal with them, but works for me, sorry did when I
was a teenager.

Kind regards

--
Benedict White

Old November 19th 03, 01:07 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cars.imports,uk.rec.cars.misc
Mike

In message , Benedict White
writes

Driver wrote:

In the event I am stopped, I plan to carry the MOT failure document
(to prove that the cat test is the *only* problem) and the records
(and log numbers) of the dilemma with Vauxhall, so I can prove this.

Er, no, that is not my recommendation.

Your best bet is no comment. You could lie and say you think you have, but when
I looked for perverting the course of justice lying about whatever it was got
people 3 months inside.

The maximum is "life". You don't need to lie. When asked if you have
your documents, just say "Not on me" or, better, make sure you carry
your licence and answer "Only my licence". There's a chance they won't
ask for the other papers.

If you go for no comment they will give you a 7 day wonder. You will
not have an
MOT and will get a fine. If you tell them why you have not got an MOT they have
you 4 points,

If you don't, they have to figure it out.

It comes down to the copper on the day.

BTW, I'm up to 267,000 miles, do you think I've had my moneysworth
yet?

No.
But then I am not a lawyer.

Are those two comments connected? g

--
Mike
Old November 19th 03, 02:08 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cars.imports,uk.rec.cars.misc
Phnix

wrote:

In the event I am stopped, I plan to carry the MOT failure document
(to prove that the cat test is the *only* problem) and the records
(and log numbers) of the dilemma with Vauxhall, so I can prove this.

Why? Unless you are being tested for emissions all you would be doing is
admitting an offence. You are not expected to carry your documents with you.
If you do happen to have your v5 and insurance with you you may avoid a
producer for the MOT. If not you will at least have the seven extra days to
get your papers sorted.

As it happens the one time I was issued a producer I had done nothing wrong
and they were just being annoying. When I was stopped for speeding
(outrageously on the motorway) I thought they were rather remiss not to
check MOT and insurance.

Old November 19th 03, 08:44 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cars.imports,uk.rec.cars.misc
Benedict White

Mike wrote:

In message , Benedict White
writes

Driver wrote:

In the event I am stopped, I plan to carry the MOT failure document
(to prove that the cat test is the *only* problem) and the records
(and log numbers) of the dilemma with Vauxhall, so I can prove this.

Er, no, that is not my recommendation.

Your best bet is no comment. You could lie and say you think you have, but when
I looked for perverting the course of justice lying about whatever it was got
people 3 months inside.

The maximum is "life".

Well, yes, but in practice you could appeal any sentence over a few months.

You don't need to lie.

Yes, and as I have said I would advise against it.

When asked if you have
your documents, just say "Not on me" or, better, make sure you carry
your licence and answer "Only my licence". There's a chance they won't
ask for the other papers.

Also very true.

BTW, I'm up to 267,000 miles, do you think I've had my moneysworth
yet?

No.
But then I am not a lawyer.

Are those two comments connected? g