uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

What kind of used car?

Old October 25th 03, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Sarah

Default What kind of used car?

Hello there

I am going to buy a used car after many years of not driving, I know
zilch about cars, insurance costs, etc. so please excuse the generality
of the following question......

I and am hoping for suggestions as to what sort of car I should be
looking for given the following criteria:

- My budget is 3-4k (possibly 5k if there is a compelling reason to
spend more)

- It should be automatic rather than manual (any serious reasons not to
buy an automatic?)

- The car has to be at the cheaper end of the insurance scale (Iım over
35 so I think my insurance premium may be smaller although obviously I
have no no-claims bonus as yet)

- Good safety features

- Good reliability

- Nothing too small like a Mini as I need space for a 6ft husband!

- Economical spare parts (or as economical to fix as an automatic can
be?)

- Reasonably economical to run

- The car will be used in inner London with some trips to the coast, to
the country down south and further afield to the Lakes, North Wales, etc.

- Performance isnıt really an issue as I havenıt driven for years and
will need to get used to driving again

- Iıll probably keep the car for a year or two before I trade up a bit

Also, what sort of mileage should I be looking for * whatıs reasonable?

If anyone can help then all advice gratefully received!

All the best

Sarah
Old October 25th 03, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Abo

Sarah raved thus:

:: - My budget is 3-4k (possibly 5k if there is a compelling reason to
:: spend more)

A Ford Ka should suit; dunno if it comes with an auto option though.

Abo

--

How come you don't see mouse flavoured cat food?

Old October 25th 03, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Steven Thompson

The sad fact is that with second hand automatics there isn't a great deal of
choice, at least in the North East where I live. The most readily available
are all Vauxhalls (Corsas or Astras). They would meet your criteria,
though.

I traded in my last car, an Astra, at seven years old with over 90,000 miles
on the clock and found it a reliable car.

Hope this helps.

Steven Thompson

Old October 25th 03, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
John C

Give my mate a call Northwood cars 01923 823291 his name is John, good
reason to spend about 5K is that you can get a 2000 X Auto Vauxhall Corsa or
similar with about 20,000 miles, 3 to 4 K usually gets a 1997 R with 50,000
plus.

John

Old October 25th 03, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
PjH : Cima Racing

"Sarah" wrote...

Hello there

Hello.

I am going to buy a used car after many years of not driving, I know
zilch about cars, insurance costs, etc. so please excuse the generality
of the following question......

I and am hoping for suggestions as to what sort of car I should be
looking for given the following criteria:

I'd suggest...

Toyota Yaris 1.0 CDX Free-Tronic: should be able to get a 99/T with 40k for
about £4,500. Should hold its money reasonably well. Insurance group 3.

VW Lupo 1.4 E Auto: £3,500 should be fine for a 99/S, again with about 40k
on the clock. Insurance group 3.

Hyundai Atoz 1.0 Auto: No fun at all, but will save you a shed load of
money. Good condition one should cost under £2,000 for a 98 model, more for
newer versions. Obviously. Don't expect any money back on resale, though.
Insurance group 2.

--
: Phil Huff : Cima Racing : www.cimaracing.co.uk :
: ---------------------------------------------- :

Old October 26th 03, 01:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Sparadrap

Sarah wrote:

Hello there

I am going to buy a used car after many years of not driving, I know
zilch about cars, insurance costs, etc. so please excuse the generality
of the following question......

Big snip

Without intending to be rude whatsover, if you haven't driven at all for
a while, I'd strongly advise having a refresher lesson or two - you
don't want to dent your new motor (or random bod) without a refresher!
Old October 26th 03, 03:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Sarah

In article ,
"PjH : Cima Racing" wrote:

I'd suggest...

Toyota Yaris 1.0 CDX Free-Tronic: should be able to get a 99/T with 40k for
about £4,500. Should hold its money reasonably well. Insurance group 3.

VW Lupo 1.4 E Auto: £3,500 should be fine for a 99/S, again with about 40k
on the clock. Insurance group 3.

Hyundai Atoz 1.0 Auto: No fun at all, but will save you a shed load of
money. Good condition one should cost under £2,000 for a 98 model, more for
newer versions. Obviously. Don't expect any money back on resale, though.
Insurance group 2.

Thanks for the info Phil - I'll add those to my list of possibles I
reckon...

All the best

Sarah
Old October 26th 03, 03:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Sarah

Thanks very much for the contact John, I might use it when I've decided
for certain!

All the best

Sarah

Old October 26th 03, 03:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Sarah

Thanks for the advice Steven!

Regards

Sarah