uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

Petrol / Oil Questions

Old October 21st 03, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Darren

Default Petrol / Oil Questions

Hi,

I am picking up my new Clio 1.4 16V [98hp version] in 4 weeks and just
have a few small questions.

1. Is it worth using Optimax in this car? (I have read the thread
about Optimax), I'm not too worried about any "go faster" abilities it
may have, but more interested in it's cleansing / smooth running
properties. Is it worth the 5p/litre difference (50/year) premium?

2. The Clio service interval is 18,000 miles. Is it worth changing the
oil before then? Renault dealer says "no point" but 18k is quite a
distance between services...?

Thanks
Old October 21st 03, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Tim..

"Darren" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I am picking up my new Clio 1.4 16V [98hp version] in 4 weeks and just
have a few small questions.

1. Is it worth using Optimax in this car? (I have read the thread
about Optimax), I'm not too worried about any "go faster" abilities it
may have, but more interested in it's cleansing / smooth running
properties. Is it worth the 5p/litre difference (50/year) premium?

2. The Clio service interval is 18,000 miles. Is it worth changing the
oil before then? Renault dealer says "no point" but 18k is quite a
distance between services...?

These intervals are just plain stupid. Even using a fully synthetic and
doing this distance in 12 months or less you are going to have worn out oil
long before then. Leave the factory fill for ~10,000 miles whilst its
running in, then change the oil and filter every 6months thereafter- if you
intend to keep the car past ~60,000 miles and want to look after it.

Tim..

---

Old October 21st 03, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Alan

I sell Optimax and I have staff who swear by it. Others say there is no
difference!

I would run it on the normal stuff for 10,000 miles and then try it. If you
get better performance or smoother running and better economy (enough to
offset the extra cost) stick with it.

I would use a decent brand of fuel with decent detergents in. Stock to
Shell/BP/Esso to be on the safe side.

With regards to oil changes, I agree with you but if you are going to sell
the car in 30,000 miles who cares? I would run the factiry oil for 10,000 at
least though. After that I would do an interim oil & filter (genuine Renault
one) if I was keeping the car for a long time.

--

Alan

New & used Vauxhall cars & vans, servicing, repairs & parts
www.steeles.co.uk

Vauxhall CD players & handbooks
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/vauxhallradiosales

Old October 21st 03, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Huw

"Conor Turton" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Hi,

I am picking up my new Clio 1.4 16V [98hp version] in 4 weeks and

just
have a few small questions.

1. Is it worth using Optimax in this car? (I have read the thread
about Optimax), I'm not too worried about any "go faster" abilities

it
may have, but more interested in it's cleansing / smooth running
properties. Is it worth the 5p/litre difference (50/year) premium?

2. The Clio service interval is 18,000 miles. Is it worth changing

the
oil before then? Renault dealer says "no point" but 18k is quite a
distance between services...?

1) No point.
2) My Merc Actros has 100,000km service intervals. The oil seems to be
OK for that length of time although Actrosses are fitted with a
cleaner.

Also the Actross is filled with mb228.5 oil which is good for
100,000kms and the engine, as you say, has ultra fine by-pass
filtration and a monitoring system.
Renault probably have a time based caveat to the mileage interval
which will assure either long journeys for the schedule or a shorter,
time based, override such as a 1 year limit which should on no account
be ignored. That said, go with the manufacturers schedule and make
sure the correct oil is used.

Huw

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old October 21st 03, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Tim.. wrote:
These intervals are just plain stupid. Even using a fully synthetic and
doing this distance in 12 months or less you are going to have worn out
oil long before then. Leave the factory fill for ~10,000 miles whilst
its running in, then change the oil and filter every 6months thereafter-
if you intend to keep the car past ~60,000 miles and want to look after
it.

People said this when changes went from 1000 miles to 3000. And from 3000
to 6000. And to 10,000. But engines these days last longer than they ever
did - most will outlive the car unless a cambelt breaks or a head gasket
goes, both unrelated to oil.

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn