uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

Digital Cameras on A1

Old September 26th 03, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
John Smith

Default Digital Cameras on A1

Hi,

I drove along the A1 this week for the first time in my life. It was a 60MPH
limit for seemingly endless miles of my journey when, all of a sudden, a
50MPH sign appeared on the side of the carriageway before a small rise in
the road.

No sooner had I seen the sign than I was on the brow of the rise and, lo and
behold, beyond it was a speed camera facing towards oncoming traffic. It
was, so I have since been told, one of these digital cameras. I had been
travelling at 60 but am unsure whether I braked in time to get down to 50 or
not but, boy, it sure gives the impression that, as many people believe,
they are out to position these cameras not from a safety point of view but
from a revenue generating point of view.

Anyhow, I am told that these cameras work in some kind of daisy-chain that
monitors you overall speed between them and they can work out if you have
been speeding throughout the course of your journey??? Anyone know anything
about this - sounds similar to motorways in France between tolls?

John.

Old September 26th 03, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Doki

"John Smith" wrote in message
[...]

60 on your speedo is probably more like 55 or so, and the camera will be
set to trigger somewhere around 55 - 60mph. In my car, you have to be doing
about 62 on the speedo to keep up with lorrys limited to 56mph on the
motorway.

Anyhow, I am told that these cameras work in some kind of daisy-chain that
monitors you overall speed between them and they can work out if you have
been speeding throughout the course of your journey??? Anyone know

anything
about this - sounds similar to motorways in France between tolls?

That's SPECs (or perhaps SPECS, I'm not sure). They've got them on a few
roads in Nottingham, and I've seen them on motorway roadworks. Looks like a
security camera with two round white things either side, which I think
they're IR illumination for night use. They can't work out your speed from
seeing you once, you have to pass through a pair, and then it does speed =
distance / time to find out if you sped between the two. If it was a box on
a pole, then it was a GATSO or TruVelo, and they take your speed there and
then.

Old September 26th 03, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
John Smith

No, that was not my point. Don't be an arse-hole - I assume that is
difficult? I was simply curious about these cameras, what they were and what
they did as I have never seen them before. I do think that the first one
that I saw not clearly enough marked in advance to give ample warning to a
driver to reduce speed but there you and I am going to differ.

Why is it whenever someone in this ng asks a question about a speed camera
some arsehole always jumps up to assume that the person asking the question
is looking for an excuse for 'being caught'. What a sad jerk.

John.

"Conor Turton" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
[...]

I know the stretch of road you mean. There is more than ample time to
drop to 50 before the camera so it sounds like you're fishing for an
excuse. And it is there for a safety reason if you actually bothered to
look at what was ahead instead of flapping about being caught.

--
________________________
Conor Turton

________________________

Old September 26th 03, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
John Smith

Thanks - very interesting. They don't have these types in my part of the
world... yet. What amazed me was that I saw people hurtling past them
seemingly en masse during my journey on the A1 and I assume, unlike myself,
not all of those drivers were driving along there for the first time that
day.

Old September 26th 03, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Paul Giverin

In message , John Smith
writes
No, that was not my point. Don't be an arse-hole - I assume that is
difficult? I was simply curious about these cameras, what they were and what
they did as I have never seen them before. I do think that the first one
that I saw not clearly enough marked in advance to give ample warning to a
driver to reduce speed but there you and I am going to differ.

You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that you reduce speed
at the camera and not the speed limit sign. The speed limit starts *at*
the sign. I'm sure that most people can comfortably manage to go from
60mph to 50mph within the limit of their visibility (i.e. between seeing
the speed limit sign and passing it).

--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website
http://www.britjet.co.uk
Old September 26th 03, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
SteveH

John Smith wrote:

Anyone know anything
about this - sounds similar to motorways in France between tolls?

This bit is an urban myth - I covered the distance between ticket and
toll booth at an average of over 120mph on the Autoroute on Sunday and
the toll-collector didn't say anything.
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800
VW Golf GL Cabrio (carb broken) - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 33 1.7ie
Old September 27th 03, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Conor Turton

In article ,
says...
No, that was not my point. Don't be an arse-hole - I assume that is
difficult? I was simply curious about these cameras, what they were and what
they did as I have never seen them before. I do think that the first one
that I saw not clearly enough marked in advance to give ample warning to a
driver to reduce speed but there you and I am going to differ.

Why is it whenever someone in this ng asks a question about a speed camera
some arsehole always jumps up to assume that the person asking the question
is looking for an excuse for 'being caught'. What a sad jerk.

Because some ****** is always looking for a reason to excuse their
incompetency. It is strange that you say "I do think that the first one
that I saw not clearly enough marked in advance to give ample warning
to a driver to reduce speed". If your question wasn't related at all to
being caught why mention about a camera not giving ample warning?

Cameras don't have to give ample advance warning for a driver to reduce
their speed you jerk. Why shouldf they? You're supposed to be doing the
speed limit before you get there. See that big round sign with a number
on it? That's the speed limit.

--
Conor Turton