uk.rec.cars.misc (General Car Discussions) (uk.rec.cars.misc)

New Driving Test

Old September 1st 03, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Rich

Default New Driving Test

So.. the new driving test is out, to make sure that new learner drivers
understand what happens under the bonnet, this is good.

But, it is unfair! Do you not agree that already qualified drivers should
take this test too?

At the present, if I remember rightly, your driving licence lasts 50 years,
this is a long time. I think that there should be driving tests every 10
years, to ensure that everyone is to standard. Besides, how many times have
you been behind a car that has turned the corner then put the indicator on!
Or perhaps you are driving along with no one behind you, then some car pulls
out in front of you, causing you to brake.

Everyday, I get people playing chicken when overtaking parked cars on there
side of the road.

Or is it me that is the bad driver?

PS When you go to work tommorow, drive at the speed limit, I did this one
day and you get frantic drivers behind you, its quite funny really!

Have a nice day now

Old September 2nd 03, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Paul Giverin

In message , Rich
writes
So.. the new driving test is out, to make sure that new learner drivers
understand what happens under the bonnet, this is good.

But, it is unfair! Do you not agree that already qualified drivers should
take this test too?

At the present, if I remember rightly, your driving licence lasts 50 years,
this is a long time. I think that there should be driving tests every 10
years, to ensure that everyone is to standard. Besides, how many times have
you been behind a car that has turned the corner then put the indicator on!
Or perhaps you are driving along with no one behind you, then some car pulls
out in front of you, causing you to brake.

I've seen these things done by drivers who passed their test only 3
months previously. How do you think 10 year re-tests will help alleviate
this?

--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website
http://www.britjet.co.uk
Old September 2nd 03, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Tim and/or Gaynor Bott

PS When you go to work tommorow, drive at the speed limit, I did this one
day and you get frantic drivers behind you, its quite funny really!

I know! Taking my test soon so I am sticking to all speed limits religiously
(I would do regardless I hasten to add) - people really think you are taking
the **** out of them for driving at 30mph. I have had some right abuse the
last few weeks!

Gaynor

Old September 2nd 03, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Conor

In article , ap004c0410
@blueyonder.co.uk says...
So.. the new driving test is out, to make sure that new learner drivers
understand what happens under the bonnet, this is good.

But, it is unfair! Do you not agree that already qualified drivers should
take this test too?

It's been in the HGV test for years. Difference is there are mechanical
fault questions asked too.

--
________________________
Conor Turton

ICQ:31909763
________________________
Old September 2nd 03, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
PR

"Rich" wrote in message
So.. the new driving test is out, to make sure that new learner drivers
understand what happens under the bonnet, this is good.

But, it is unfair! Do you not agree that already qualified drivers should
take this test too?

At the present, if I remember rightly, your driving licence lasts 50

years,
this is a long time. I think that there should be driving tests every 10
years, to ensure that everyone is to standard. Besides, how many times

have
you been behind a car that has turned the corner then put the indicator

on!
Or perhaps you are driving along with no one behind you, then some car

pulls
out in front of you, causing you to brake.

You seem to have lost track of the fact that as a general rule the older you
are, the less likely you are to have an accident (am not talking about 105
year olds before someone tries to be clever) - I would have thought that any
additional efforts/requirements should be aimed at the highest risk groups -
not lower risk groups.

I think there is an argument for a basic medical test (most specifically
eyesight) later in ones driving career - but retesting the statistically
safest age groups is unlikely to be the most productive way of improving
things.

Old September 2nd 03, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
DervMan

"Rich" wrote in message

[snip]

PS When you go to work tommorow, drive at the speed limit, I did this one
day and you get frantic drivers behind you, its quite funny really!

One day?

I do this _every_ day.

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Old September 2nd 03, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Rich

Good point.

A 10 year re-test will help people realise there bad habits.

Old September 2nd 03, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Rich

Sorry Gaynor, but is there anyone that actually drives without breaking the
speed limit?

Remember a 30 zone is the maximum speed, not something you should aim for!

Old September 2nd 03, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc
Rich

Thats it now, you've mentioned HGV drivers.

If anyone of your are one, why do you tailgate us cars? I often get HGV's 6
feet from my bumper!