uk.rec.cars.maintenance (Car Maintenance) (uk.rec.cars.maintenance)

Golf Mk4 TDI ABS warning light staying on

Old August 5th 12, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Angus

Default Golf Mk4 TDI ABS warning light staying on

Hi all,

My 02 TDI Golf's ABS warning light is staying on, and a look in my books
essentially said to take it to a VW dealer. I gather that it reverts to
the normal braking system when this happens. I just wondered if it might
be a dirty connection somewhere where cleaning the connectors might put
things right, or anything else easy I could try?

I'd appreciate any thoughts and predictions of wallet damage.

Cheers.
Old August 5th 12, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Chris Whelan

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 16:33:11 +0100, Angus wrote:

Hi all,

My 02 TDI Golf's ABS warning light is staying on, and a look in my books
essentially said to take it to a VW dealer. I gather that it reverts to
the normal braking system when this happens. I just wondered if it might
be a dirty connection somewhere where cleaning the connectors might put
things right, or anything else easy I could try?

I'd appreciate any thoughts and predictions of wallet damage.

Cheers.

Most likely is a wheel sensor or connector fault. If you, or someone you
know, has basic electrical skills and a multimeter, Googling will help
you find out how to test them.

I would imagine the warning light will stay on even after the fault is
fixed, and this will need resetting with someone with the right equipment.

Non-OEM sensors will be in the 25-45 quid range; you might be able to
find someone to reset the light for 40 quid, so under 100 quid if you put
some effort in!

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old August 5th 12, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Duncan Wood[_6_]

On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 16:54:59 +0100, Chris Whelan
wrote:

[...]

ntly.
Or try some VW groups for someone with vcds to diagnose it almost insta
Old August 5th 12, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Harry Bloomfield[_3_]

Angus wrote :

Hi all,

My 02 TDI Golf's ABS warning light is staying on, and a look in my books
essentially said to take it to a VW dealer. I gather that it reverts to
the normal braking system when this happens. I just wondered if it might
be a dirty connection somewhere where cleaning the connectors might put
things right, or anything else easy I could try?

I'd appreciate any thoughts and predictions of wallet damage.

Cheers.

It is important point for diagnosis - to know whether the light comes
on when you turn the ignition on then goes off and comes back on when
you are moving, or whether it comes on with the ignition and remains
on.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old August 7th 12, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Chris Bartram

On 05/08/2012 21:58, Duncan Wood wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 16:54:59 +0100, Chris Whelan

Most likely is a wheel sensor or connector fault. If you, or someone you
know, has basic electrical skills and a multimeter, Googling will help
you find out how to test them.

I would imagine the warning light will stay on even after the fault is
fixed, and this will need resetting with someone with the right
equipment.

Non-OEM sensors will be in the 25-45 quid range; you might be able to
find someone to reset the light for 40 quid, so under 100 quid if you put
some effort in!

Chris

Or try some VW groups for someone with vcds to diagnose it almost instantly.

Yep. VCDS will tell you what is wrong, and clear the fault when fixed.
As Chris W said, it's probably a wheel sensor or a connector for one.

Most of the VAG forums will have a list of people who will do the diags
for free or nearly free.