uk.rec.cars.maintenance (Car Maintenance) (uk.rec.cars.maintenance)

Ford focus faults

Old May 15th 11, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving
Jacob[_2_]

Default Ford focus faults

Allo chaps,

I'm having a good look around for a decent ford focus a 1.6 as that will
suffice possibly a zetec I've done a bit of research on them and spotted
a few faults like the speedo dropping. I was wondering if anyone has one
with first hand experience or knowledge can point out anything to look out
when going to look at one.

Also when is the cambelt due on these ?

I decided to try a ford focus instead of another mk4 golf mainly for pricing
and the bigger boot on the focus and that the focus itself is some what
cheaper.

I'd appreciate any advice from the well versed panel (I'll stop arse kissing
now)

cheers chaps

Old May 15th 11, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving
Paul Giverin

In message , Jacob
writes
Allo chaps,

I'm having a good look around for a decent ford focus a 1.6 as that will
suffice possibly a zetec I've done a bit of research on them and spotted
a few faults like the speedo dropping. I was wondering if anyone has one
with first hand experience or knowledge can point out anything to look out
when going to look at one.

Also when is the cambelt due on these ?

I decided to try a ford focus instead of another mk4 golf mainly for pricing
and the bigger boot on the focus and that the focus itself is some what
cheaper.

I'd appreciate any advice from the well versed panel (I'll stop arse kissing
now)

cheers chaps

Cambelt is due at 100k or 10 years. The speedo thing isn't a big issue
if it happens. The biggest worry on the 1.6 engine is that a small
number of them have suffered from a failure of the oil control piston
rings, resulting in horrendously high oil consumption. Its thought this
is due to boy racer drivers thrashing the engine from cold. Obviously
you can't really check the oil consumption when you test the car but a
good service history usually means an owner with some mechanical
sympathy.

--
Paul Giverin

My Photos:- www.pbase.com/vendee
Old May 15th 11, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving
Mike P[_21_]

On Sun, 15 May 2011 17:46:07 +0100, Jacob wrote:

Allo chaps,

I'm having a good look around for a decent ford focus a 1.6 as that will
suffice possibly a zetec I've done a bit of research on them and
spotted a few faults like the speedo dropping. I was wondering if anyone
has one with first hand experience or knowledge can point out anything
to look out when going to look at one.

Also when is the cambelt due on these ?

I decided to try a ford focus instead of another mk4 golf mainly for
pricing and the bigger boot

Wow! How small is the boot on the MK4 Golf? I just bought a Focus 1.6 Zetec
on an X-plate for Mrs P. I'd not term the boot as big, that's for sure.
It's a struggle to get the pram in it.

--
Mike P
Old May 15th 11, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving
Jacob[_2_]

"Mike P" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 May 2011 17:46:07 +0100, Jacob wrote:

Allo chaps,

I'm having a good look around for a decent ford focus a 1.6 as that will
suffice possibly a zetec I've done a bit of research on them and
spotted a few faults like the speedo dropping. I was wondering if anyone
has one with first hand experience or knowledge can point out anything
to look out when going to look at one.

Also when is the cambelt due on these ?

I decided to try a ford focus instead of another mk4 golf mainly for
pricing and the bigger boot

Wow! How small is the boot on the MK4 Golf? I just bought a Focus 1.6
Zetec
on an X-plate for Mrs P. I'd not term the boot as big, that's for sure.
It's a struggle to get the pram in it.

Thats odd, on parkers I THINK the golf is listed at 250 litres and a
nightmare to get a pram it, you just have to force it, but the focus has 350
litres so surely must be easier with the extra 100 litres. Although you've
seen it and I'm now wondering it is suitable. I shall try and have a look at
one this week. I hope it does after all the research I'm doing on it

Hope Mrs P likes it. I'm after a zetech one was told not to get another
before 02 as they have bucket loads of faults. From 02 they ironed those all
out.

Old May 15th 11, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving
Silk

On 15/05/2011 19:01, Mike P wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2011 17:46:07 +0100, Jacob wrote:

Allo chaps,

I'm having a good look around for a decent ford focus a 1.6 as that will
suffice possibly a zetec I've done a bit of research on them and
spotted a few faults like the speedo dropping. I was wondering if anyone
has one with first hand experience or knowledge can point out anything
to look out when going to look at one.

Also when is the cambelt due on these ?

I decided to try a ford focus instead of another mk4 golf mainly for
pricing and the bigger boot

Wow! How small is the boot on the MK4 Golf?

Bloody tiny. That's why the Octavia's a better bet.
Old May 15th 11, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving
MattF

"Jacob" wrote in message
Allo chaps,

I'm having a good look around for a decent ford focus a 1.6 as that will
suffice possibly a zetec I've done a bit of research on them and
spotted a few faults like the speedo dropping. I was wondering if anyone
has one with first hand experience or knowledge can point out anything to
look out when going to look at one.

Also when is the cambelt due on these ?

I decided to try a ford focus instead of another mk4 golf mainly for
pricing and the bigger boot on the focus and that the focus itself is some
what cheaper.

I'd appreciate any advice from the well versed panel (I'll stop arse
kissing now)

cheers chaps

Depending on year you need to watch for rust in the following places.

1. Bottoms of doors on inside.
2. Where the glass meets the frame on the bottom edge of tailgate.
3. Where the door mirrors meet the door body.

Input shaft bearing on gearbox can go - usually though a long process.

MattF

Old May 15th 11, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving
Chris Whelan

On Sun, 15 May 2011 19:50:23 +0100, Jacob wrote:

[...]

Hope Mrs P likes it. I'm after a zetech one was told not to get another
before 02 as they have bucket loads of faults. From 02 they ironed those
all out.

There were only a few common faults on early cars, and they will have
been fixed by now. They we

Speedo dropping to zero; fixed by replace the sensor for 25UKP, or 100UKP
at a dealer.

Recirc motor in the heating system stripping its cogs. 100UKP to fix.

Dashboard failure; Ford eventually started supplying these at cost after
some complaint.

That's about it.

WRT the 1.6 versus the 1.8, I've owned both. The 1.6 suffers from an
overly-high top gear. It makes for quiet, economical cruising on the
motorway, but if you live where there are a lot of main road climbs, and/
or you intend to travel fully-loaded, I would advise that the 1.8 is
better suited.

The 1.6 is a bit smoother, and about 8% better on fuel. If I was looking
to buy another Focus though (and I would if I wrote this one off like the
last one!), I would get a 1.8.

They are so common, you can afford to be fussy, and get the specification
you need. Don't consider one without (working) aircon. If your car lives
outside, get one with a heated front screen; they're great!

Luggage space of the hatchback is 0.35 cubic metres; although a bit rare,
and not to all tastes, the saloon boot is 0.49 cubic metres.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old May 15th 11, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving
Mr Guest

Chris Whelan wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.cars.maintenance on Sun
15 May 2011 21:40:51:

[Snipped...]

They are so common, you can afford to be fussy, and get the
specification you need. Don't consider one without (working)
aircon. If your car lives outside, get one with a heated front
screen; they're great!

[Snipped...]

They (heated front screens) are great, but if you get a crack in one
and speak to your insurer about getting it replaced, do check at every
stage that they will be fitting an exact replacement. My insurer for
my previous car (Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ghia Y-reg) "forgot" to advise the
repair company that it was heated so I kept refusing them booking an
appointment until they could guarantee that they had the right
replacement.

Have since upgraded to a Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ghia 08-reg and that's going
fine. Had a Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ghia M-reg before the other two, guess
it's obvious what I like. Need nothing larger and five doors are
useful every now and then.
--
MrGuest
Always, seemingly, on the road to nowhere
Old May 16th 11, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving
Man at B&Q

On May 15, 10:48*pm, Mr Guest wrote:
Chris Whelan wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.cars.maintenance on Sun
15 May 2011 21:40:51:

[Snipped...]

They are so common, you can afford to be fussy, and get the
specification you need. Don't consider one without (working)
aircon. If your car lives outside, get one with a heated front
screen; they're great!

[Snipped...]

They (heated front screens) are great, but if you get a crack in one
and speak to your insurer about getting it replaced, do check at every
stage that they will be fitting an exact replacement. My insurer for
my previous car (Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ghia Y-reg) "forgot" to advise the
repair company that it was heated so I kept refusing them booking an
appointment until they could guarantee that they had the right
replacement.

My FiL had the opposite experience, they fitted a heated screen as a
replecement for a normal one. Apparently the wiring loom is all theer
to connect it up if you fit a switch to the dash.

MBQ
Old May 16th 11, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.driving
Chris Whelan

On Mon, 16 May 2011 07:45:31 -0700, Man at B&Q wrote:

[...]

My FiL had the opposite experience, they fitted a heated screen as a
replecement for a normal one. Apparently the wiring loom is all theer to
connect it up if you fit a switch to the dash.

MBQ

I'm afraid it's not that simple.

Apart from anything else, an ECU upgrade would be required.

If a windscreen company fitted a HFS to any car of mine that didn't have
the capability to use it, I would pester them to fit the correct one. A
disadvantage of the HFS is that the lines are visible, although you get
used to them. I wouldn't be prepared to do that just to accommodate the
windscreen company.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.