uk.rec.cars.maintenance (Car Maintenance) (uk.rec.cars.maintenance)

Rover 75 front suspension strut

Old June 6th 10, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Harry Bloomfield[_3_]

Default Rover 75 front suspension strut

I have been working my way gradually through some of the minor faults
and annoyances which came with this car and I have just got to a noise
from the steering as you turn the wheel at low speed.

It is a twang from the suspension spring as you turn it one way, then
another as you turn it back, close to the straight ahead position of
the wheel. This I understand is because of the bearing or bush on top
of the strut being slightly tight, then suddenly releasing. It works
smoothly the rest of the way either side of that.

Question - Can this bush or bearing be lubricated?
Alternatively, if I were to jack it up and undo the three nuts holding
the strut top into the turret under the bonnet, would it do any good to
turn that through 120 degrees to the next position along?

I cannot see much detail of how it works from the exploded diagrams.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old June 6th 10, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have been working my way gradually through some of the minor faults
and annoyances which came with this car and I have just got to a noise
from the steering as you turn the wheel at low speed.

It is a twang from the suspension spring as you turn it one way, then
another as you turn it back, close to the straight ahead position of
the wheel. This I understand is because of the bearing or bush on top
of the strut being slightly tight, then suddenly releasing. It works
smoothly the rest of the way either side of that.

Question - Can this bush or bearing be lubricated?
Alternatively, if I were to jack it up and undo the three nuts holding
the strut top into the turret under the bonnet, would it do any good to
turn that through 120 degrees to the next position along?

I cannot see much detail of how it works from the exploded diagrams.

It's more likely to be the spring moving slightly on its support. I dunno
if there is some form of 'gasket' between spring and housing which could
have failed. My SD1 Rover has done this from new after a cold start but
then never again that day. And the same after a suspension re-build. Which
included new ball bearings to the top mount - even although the originals
were ok.

--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old June 6th 10, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Harry Bloomfield[_3_]

Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
It's more likely to be the spring moving slightly on its support. I dunno
if there is some form of 'gasket' between spring and housing which could
have failed. My SD1 Rover has done this from new after a cold start but
then never again that day. And the same after a suspension re-build. Which
included new ball bearings to the top mount - even although the originals
were ok.

It is difficult to actually see what is happening, because it is not
easy to reproduce the noise and it only does it with weight on it.
There is not much room to see up there or get hands in with the road
wheel fitted.

A large swing left to right of the steering wheel tends not to cause
it, but a small amount of gentle rocking between 11 and 1 o'clock do.
The gentle you are turning the wheel, the more likely the noise.

All I know for sure is that if you touch the spring as the noise
occurs, you can actually feel it twang.

Old June 6th 10, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Harry Bloomfield[_3_]

Dave Plowman (News) used his keyboard to write :
It's more likely to be the spring moving slightly on its support. I dunno
if there is some form of 'gasket' between spring and housing which could
have failed. My SD1 Rover has done this from new after a cold start but
then never again that day. And the same after a suspension re-build. Which
included new ball bearings to the top mount - even although the originals
were ok.

After a little more investigation...

The spring ends are sleeved in a rubber cover and no sign of any
movement between springs a their 'dishes' at either end. The plate (and
I assume bush or bearing) which bolts under the turret can be turned
but will not relocate 120 degrees due to the plate being angled to
suite the angle of the turret. I am also now of the opinion that the
bearing is NOT the cause.

Difficult to be certain, but - The noise seems to be entirely generated
by the spring as it comes under slightly different pressure as the
strut rotates and spring rotates. A tie wrap pulled tight from the top
coil to the bottom one seems to help reduce the noise quite a lot.

Old June 6th 10, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Duncan Wood[_3_]

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 15:05:51 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

[...]

It's a fairly soft spring so it'll wind up quite a lot if there's any
stiction in the top bearing/bush, a little rubber lube won't hurt, or if
it's irritating you after that then undersealing the spring may well shut
it up enough.
Old June 8th 10, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Ret.

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have been working my way gradually through some of the minor faults
and annoyances which came with this car and I have just got to a noise
from the steering as you turn the wheel at low speed.

It is a twang from the suspension spring as you turn it one way, then
another as you turn it back, close to the straight ahead position of
the wheel. This I understand is because of the bearing or bush on top
of the strut being slightly tight, then suddenly releasing. It works
smoothly the rest of the way either side of that.

Question - Can this bush or bearing be lubricated?
Alternatively, if I were to jack it up and undo the three nuts holding
the strut top into the turret under the bonnet, would it do any good
to turn that through 120 degrees to the next position along?

I cannot see much detail of how it works from the exploded diagrams.

Harry. I don't know if you are still following this thread. The Pipex news
server has had authentication problems for just over a week and I have been
unable to log in to it, so I missed this post when you first put it up.

I had a similar problem to this with a front spring 'twanging'. Turned out
to be a small road chipping that had been flung up and into the 'cup' that
the bottom end of the spring sits in. The spring would 'slip off' this stone
and make the noise.

The only difference was that my 'twang' occurred when taking a LH bend and
the offside spring (where the stone was sitting) became compressed. It may
be that this is not your problem - but it would be worth checking (if you
haven't already resolved the issue!).

--
Kev

Old June 8th 10, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ret. xxx wrote:
Harry. I don't know if you are still following this thread. The Pipex
news server has had authentication problems for just over a week and I
have been unable to log in to it, so I missed this post when you first
put it up.

Same here - although could I get Pipex to admit it was their problem?
But I set up another account with AIEO - free. Others around too.

When the Giganews feed came on again today and I switched back to it (it
carries some groups I want that AIEO doesn't) and downloaded all the
week's stuff then deleted duplicates, the majority of what was left was
spam...

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Old June 9th 10, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Ret.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Ret. xxx wrote:
Harry. I don't know if you are still following this thread. The Pipex
news server has had authentication problems for just over a week and
I have been unable to log in to it, so I missed this post when you
first put it up.

Same here - although could I get Pipex to admit it was their problem?
But I set up another account with AIEO - free. Others around too.

When I contacted Pipex tech support, the first bloke I spoke to (a
hard-to-understand Asian), he couldn't understand what I was talking about.
I had to phoneticise NNTP so that he could go and ask someone else what a
News Server was! When he came back he said that they no longer supplied
support for the New Server because less than 1 in 1000 customers used it!

Eventually,via a bit of Googling, I discovered that it was an authentication
problem that their technicians were 'working on'. It came back on yesterday.

I can't really complain. When I first switched to Pipex some 5 years ago, if
you wanted to access Newsgroups via their News Server you were supposed to
pay extra for the service. I didn't do that - but I did find that using
their set-up information I could access the server anyway - and I have been
doing so ever since.

When I first had the problem of not being able to access the server I
wondered if I'd finally been rumbled - but I don't think they bother any
more. I did send them an e-mail about the problem (pointing out the abysmal
standard of service from their tech support), they replied saying that they
problem should be resolved soon - and it was the following day. There was no
mention of the fact that I wasn't paying for access to the news server.

I strongly suspect that Pipex users will be migrated to TalkTalk before
long. If that happens I will probably switch to Sky Broadband.

Kev

Old June 9th 10, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ret. xxx wrote:
I can't really complain. When I first switched to Pipex some 5 years
ago, if you wanted to access Newsgroups via their News Server you were
supposed to pay extra for the service. I didn't do that - but I did
find that using their set-up information I could access the server
anyway - and I have been doing so ever since.

I was never told that. Of course it may have depended on the package.

When I first had the problem of not being able to access the server I
wondered if I'd finally been rumbled - but I don't think they bother any
more. I did send them an e-mail about the problem (pointing out the
abysmal standard of service from their tech support), they replied
saying that they problem should be resolved soon - and it was the
following day. There was no mention of the fact that I wasn't paying
for access to the news server.

They did try and stop the news service a while back - started by
restricting access to certain times of the day. And blocked the ports to
the other news servers at the same time. I faxed the MD and said I'd
change ISP if this continued. Got a reply saying so few used it they were
trying to economise. But perhaps there were more than they thought, and
vocal too as it went back to normal. They get their feed from GigaNews, so
I'd guess have to pay for that.

I strongly suspect that Pipex users will be migrated to TalkTalk before
long. If that happens I will probably switch to Sky Broadband.

Pipex is part of the Tiscali group which was taken over by Talktalk. The
Tiscali group get news, Talktalk not. News can't cost much to run being
very low bandwidth as text only, so I'd guess it would still make sense
for some to offer it in a package.

Old June 9th 10, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Ret.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Ret. xxx wrote:
[...]

I did e-mail Pipex a couple of months ago to ask about the future of Pipex.
They replied stating that there were no plans to change the existing set-up.
How much reliance you can place on that I don't know!

Pipex have always had a bad press but overall I've been pleased with the
service. A couple of years ago I decided to switch to Sky BB but when I
contacted Pipex to ask for a MAC code they offered me an improved package
for less money (with the first 3 months free). I've got unlimited download
BB and free 'Anytime' telephone calls for 12.98 a month which seems to
compare well with anything else I've looked at.

--
Kev