uk.rec.cars.maintenance (Car Maintenance) (uk.rec.cars.maintenance)

airbrush \ scratch repair

Old June 30th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
James_sutton

Default airbrush \ scratch repair

I was wondering if you could buy like a airbrush kit for scratch fixing
something like what some people get tanned with ?

When I had chipsaway (mobile scratch\dent repairs fixers) come out to me
they touched up and scuff with a airbrush type gizmo but it was powered by a
compressor.

What I was wondeirng is if I can get one of these airbrushes and run it off
something other than a compressor as I dont have one ?

been doing a lot of reading into painting techniques and body repairs and
thought for small repiars if could be quite handy.

Reason am looking into it as someone has dragged a key or sharp object on my
boot! can't quite afford chipsaway to fix it so hoping for a home fix. Some
may say it'll work out easier cheaper for some who knows what there doing to
do it but I want to give it a go, worst that happens is I tit it up and have
to get it done professionally at some point.

The colour I'll be touching up is reflex silver on an golf, not the easiest
colour to work with.

cheers

Old June 30th 06, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Mike Dodd

James_sutton wrote:

What I was wondeirng is if I can get one of these airbrushes and run it off
something other than a compressor as I dont have one ?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=23031

Dunno if it's any good, though - no experience of 'em.
Old June 30th 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
James_sutton

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
James_sutton wrote:

What I was wondeirng is if I can get one of these airbrushes and run it
off something other than a compressor as I dont have one ?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=23031

Dunno if it's any good, though - no experience of 'em.

Alright Mike,

That is very interesting, I thought I may have to get a compressor. Was
googling and ebaying etc found some interesting stuff.

I'll get the stuff I'll need and do a few test runs and give it a shot.

Thanks for that

Old June 30th 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
BORG

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:17:48 +0100, "James_sutton"
wrote:

The can may be ok but the airbrush there is ****
--

www.ratrodz.co.uk

XJ900 Trike GS850 Trike

[Rot 13 it]

Some people are like slinkys....
no real use but it makes you smile when they fall down stairs!
Old June 30th 06, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Arturo Ui

Dunno if it's any good, though - no experience of 'em.
Alright Mike,
That is very interesting, I thought I may have to get a compressor. Was
googling and ebaying etc found some interesting stuff.
I'll get the stuff I'll need and do a few test runs and give it a shot.

I've seen a number of 'artistic airbrushes' use the pressure out of a car's
spare tyre.....

I doubt a professional would use it, but it is probably good enough for most
amateurs.... (And free)

Old June 30th 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
James_sutton

"Arturo Ui" wrote in message
Dunno if it's any good, though - no experience of 'em.

Alright Mike,
That is very interesting, I thought I may have to get a compressor. Was
googling and ebaying etc found some interesting stuff.
I'll get the stuff I'll need and do a few test runs and give it a shot.

I've seen a number of 'artistic airbrushes' use the pressure out of a
car's
spare tyre.....

I doubt a professional would use it, but it is probably good enough for
most
amateurs.... (And free)

I've been reading up this evening on the airbrushes. Theres a handful of
good manufactueres and badger being one of them which seem fairly prices and
goof quality, from its reviews anyway.

one thing I'm not 100% on is if I need a single or double action airbrush.
Looks like a single. Emailed one of the sites for some advice.

Might see if theres a hobby craft store I can go and have a look and get
some advice.

Would seem I would be better getting a compressor, or if I use the can I
would need a air regulator.

All interesting stuff.

Old July 1st 06, 01:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Mike G

"James_sutton" wrote in message

"Arturo Ui" wrote in message
[...]

I'd suggest a single action would be good enough for small touch up jobs.
A dual action airbrush, apart from needing more skill to take advantage of
it's greater versatility, is usually quite a lot more expensive.

IMO for finer spraying, the cheaper airbrushes are not a lot of good. I have
a couple of them. Fine for spraying a complete item, but for touching up,
the spray pattern tends to be too wide, with little control over the amount
of paint sprayed.

For touch up jobs I use a Badger 200 series which I baught nearly 20 years
ago. Still in as good a condition as the day I bought it, and during that
time it has had a lot of use.

The more expensive Badger airbrushes are extremely well made, from heavily
chromed brass, and anodised aluminium. Built to last a lifetime, and spares
are readily available for anything that wears out or gets accidently
damaged.

Personally I would recommend the 200 series. IMO it's the best value brush
in their range at about 60. Strangely enough about the same price as I paid
20 years ago when I bought mine.

Personally I'd go for this one on eBay particularly good value at 32.25 inc
P&P.
http://snipurl.com/sjyr
Or this 150 if you decide you need a dual action at about 57.10 plus P&P.
http://snipurl.com/sk0c

Might see if theres a hobby craft store I can go and have a look and get
some advice.

Would seem I would be better getting a compressor, or if I use the can I
would need a air regulator.

You don't need a regulator to use the cans. IMO unless you anticipate using
the airbrush a lot, a compressor would be OTT.

A better and cheaper solution, if you think using cans too expensive in the
long term. Is to buy a converter to use the air from a tyre. IME the actual
air pressure is not that critical. I've used cans, and also run mine off an
airline compressor at 90psi, with equally good results, so I have no reason
to suspect that a tyre pumped up to say 40psi wouldn't work equally as well,
and spray for quite a time until it needed pumping up again.

Come to think of it, something that might work, would be to fit 2 connectors
onto an empty air can. Connect one line to the airbrush, and the other to a
cheapy type tyre inflator. The empty air can acting as an air tank,
Airbrushes don't use a large volume of air, so the pump might keep the
'tank' reasonably well topped up.
Just a thaught. :-)
Mike.

Old July 1st 06, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance
James_sutton

"Arturo Ui" wrote in message
[...]

It would seem like a single action good enough for what I need it to do,
basically just touch up scratches, take some scratches out that are lacquer
deep (could use a polish\compound I guess but I hate rubbing lol)

Appreciate the reccomendation of a badger, they seem good. Excellent
reputation in my budget too.

Interesting idea with the tyre, I think that could be worth a good. Been
pondering if a small compressor or just a can\tyre would suffice. Sounds a
good idea.

I could use an airbrish for a few other tasks too.

Time to go google some more and see whats what :-)

cheers